1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

In search of a bass that may not exist

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rojo412, Mar 22, 2013.

1. rojo412

rojo412 Walnut is fun! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Can anyone tell me if such a bass may already be made (or have been made in the past)...

Short story is, I'm looking for something essentially like a Lakland 55-01, but in 34" scale.

Longer story...
    I'm trying to find a bass that fits as many of these specifications as possible:

34" Scale (a must)
    Bartolini P2 or EMG 40 shaped pickups (doesn't matter what pickups, they'll be getting replaced)
    Maple or ebony fingerboard
    18 mm spaced bridge (or at least a neck that could handle that upgrade)
    Pickup placed close to the bridge (70s or closer)

I'd like to avoid Warmoth or custom made stuff, but willing to cut into something cheaper if needed.
    It's for a beater bass. I'm not looking to spend a lot on it off the bat (say up to $600). But I plan on adding Nordstrand Big Splits and upgrading hardware or preamp as needed.
    And while I don't mind doing a few mods to the body itself, I'd like to see what may exist with more drop-in capabilities.

So far, the closest thing I've found was a Status Energy or Eclipse (wood necked). But they use rosewood boards... and are rare... and I sold the one I used to have (to get my carbon one).

Ideas?

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Why is 34" scale a must?

I have a 9 and 1/2 year old double bass student who plays a 1/2 size double bass. That's a 37 and 1/2" scale. Honestly, 35" is just trivially different from 34", IMHO.

3. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    34" scale is a must because its his money and his preference. :D

Bass bro, 1 word: Valenti

I know you don't wanna go custom but if you could, I think you'd be pleased.

4. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    5 string maple necked squier p-bass + Router

5. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    If I were you, I'd get a cheap jazz bass with maple fretboard and a narrow neck, then get someone to fit me pickups I'd choose, barts are larger than jazz pickups so there'd be no holes. See if you can get a jazz with maple fretboard from Rondomusic, those basses are great for modding, have an extermely narrow nut and most have pickup in the 70s position. The reason I didn't tell you to mod a squier is because lower tier squiers have worse wood than SX bass guitars, and high tier squiers (CV and VM) are too nice to destroy. Since you will be replacing most things, SX is a great starting point. Narrow neck would allow you to put a bridge with 18mm spacing (considering doing this for my jazz!). Then get someone to route the body to fit barts (if you want 70s position or lower, you will cut a bit close to the bridge and simply fit barts instead of bridge J). All this will cost you considerably less than 600$ though you might have to get a fret job and neck fitting, but you'll get a very nice beater instrument!

Not to people with smaller hands, to most of us, every millimeter counts!

6. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I've had numerous 35" scale basses and absolutely love the tone. But in all honesty, I can't play them for as long as I can a 34". My arm starts to hurt. Believe me, I wish it wasn't the case! It's not the hands either, I have gigantic hands.
    I had a Lakland 55-01 that was pimped out and sounded exactly like I want. Nordys, OBP3, maple neck, it sounded amazing. But I knew it wasn't going to last for me, plus I needed money, so I sold it. (Got it from Madbassplaya, actually)

The thought of hogging out a J bass has definitely crossed my mind. A Squier VM5 would be pretty fun. And there's no shortage of MIM J5s. But I had to ask and see if something else was available.
    I did forget about the Squier Protone P5... Rosewood, but a damn good candidate! EMG 40 size pickups, ash body, 19mm. Okay... Now I'm on the hunt!

7. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX
    There are Ibanez SR Prestige basses that I believe meet those requirements (there's one with a maple board). I think it's the four thousand something or other.

Edit:

Here you go, there's a 5 stringer too:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/bass/ibanez-sr4500e-electric-bass-guitar?src=3WWRWXGP

Edit again: Just re-read your post. There are lower priced SR's with maple boards too that would fit your $600 range. I had one of the Premium models with the Big Singles in it and it freaking kills.

8. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Check out Pedulla

9. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I played one of the 4 string Ibbys with the Nordys and it did sound good. But I'd have to swap for Splits. Love the noiseless!

As for Pedulla, I've always liked the look of their stuff. But I never ended up liking the basses. That is because of my hatred of the Bart tone and they only use Bart pickups.
    That said, since I'd be after a swap project, if you spot a $600 Pedulla, I'll gladly buy it!

And Valenti... No doubt, I still want one! I even have all of the specs picked out. There's a few colors that I could probably decide on as well. But I have to make a big pile of money appear before I can begin to consider one (new and to my specs).

The Squier Protone V is my target currently...
    squireandharmony005.

It's under budget, fits Nordy pickups, and is even RED!
    (My nickname is "Big Red" because I have red hair and am quite large. "Rojo", get it?)
    If anyone sees one, please please PLEASE!!! Let me know!

PS: Thanks, Nev375!!!

10. InternetAlias

InternetAlias

Dec 16, 2010
    Serbia
    I like how everyone disregards the fact this is supposed to be a beater bass and up to 600$ of investments. Also, first check if you'd like protone's neck, I liked the sound, but the neck put me off (I hate the 5 string P bass necks).

11. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I've had 4 of the Squier Deluxe Active J 5s. Same sort of dimensions. I loved them, so I think this could be a good fit.

Never heard of this REACHOO... but the link you posted from Euclid (a few miles away from here) definitely is promising.

12. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Of course I'm gonna disregard his budget.

1. We're bass bros.
    2. Budget is nothing on TB. Make it happen!
    3. He's lucky I didn't suggest a P with flats!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

13. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Something else to consider is swapping the neck out with a maple board. Warmoth perhaps?

14. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Yeah, I've gotta give special exceptions to my man here. We discovered that we are separated at birth when it comes to basses. So I know that HE knows what I know I want.
    So yeah, I've got a Valenti planned out for the future... but not as a beater! :D:D

And while there's a small place in my heart for a P with flats (and maybe even a tort guard?!?), it's not today.
    Stainless rounds...
    2 pickups...
    Pearloid guard... :D

Warmoth is my last resort. Good stuff, but I'd have to build the whole thing from scratch.

15. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Oh thanks. Your insight has illuminated things more than you may have anticipated. :D

16. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Gah, how could I have forgotten?

Yeah that P-bass I suggested... you are going to need flats with that if you don't already have a 20 year old set. and also a replacement Tort guard. Doesn't matter what color the bass is, it's gotta be tort.

17. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I actually found 2 Squier P basses, a Protone and a Special. Since they are cheap, I think I'm going to get them both and see what happens.
    :hyper:

18. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Facetious? :)

I was just messing with you. I play 35 inch scale, so I agree it's girly not to. :ninja:

Ballin' What I meant earlier by Warmoth, was if you get the bass and really dig it, you should be able to order a replacement neck from Warmoth, or buy a Squier VM 5 neck and swap it. Fender/Squier seems to be pretty compatible in most areas.

I'm on the hunt for a P to put flats on myself. My Valenti is back and it is SO good to have it home!

19. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Another suggestion for you is Carvin sb4000. They're fairly new so you won't find a beater, but I recall seeing some in TB classifieds for $700 or thereabouts. I have a sb5000 and it is a great bass - I too used to have a GL 55-02 so I know the differences.