In Search of a Cabinet...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by darkfish01, Feb 22, 2005.

1. darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    Hello all. I have a Behringer BX1200 (120 watt combo amp), and you're able to use external cabinets with that thing. The speaker that's already in the amp can't really handle what I put out, so I'm in need of a cabinet. I was thinkin about an Avatar 2x12, but I don't know wether to get a 4 ohm or 8 ohm version! I'll be upgrading to a Behringer 300 watt head eventually (which is 4 ohm), but I'm still in the dark about which to get. I was hoping yall could point me in the right direction. Thanks!
  2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Forget about the combo you currently have. It's not important.

The question is, once you have the Avatar and a different head, will that be enough? Or will you possibly find yourself wanting to drive a second cab off that head, say a 2x10 to go with the 2x12?

If you're *sure* the 2x12 is all you'll need, go 4 ohms to get the max output from your head. If, however, you anticipate needing a second cab, a "stack" as it were, then buy the 2x12 in an 8-ohm version, so you can go back later and buy a second 8-ohm cab and be able to run them parallel for a combined 4-ohm load.

BTW, I happen to have an Avatar 2x10/2x12 stack. Great, GREAT stuff for the money.
  3. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I always recommend 8ohms. Bottom line, you always want that door for expansion to be open for yourself, unless your sporting an 8x10 cab, Powerhouse 1000, or something of the sort.
  4. darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    8 Ohms it is. Thanks guys. :D

Now I have a different question.

2x12 or 4x10? Money isn't really an issue since they're all within $50 or so of eachother, but I'm not sure which would be better for me. I'll mostly be playing in churches (Christian band), sometimes in small clubs, so it'll be a relatively large venue.
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    2x12 or 4x10 is more of a sonic preference thing. just to get back to the imedance thing. what is the minimum impedance your combo is rated for, what is the impedance of the internal speaker, and can the internal speaker be disconnected?
    more than likley the combo is rated fior a minimum impedance of 4 ohms, and the internal speaker is 8 ohms. in that case you' can only use an 8 ohm extension speaker with it unless the internal speaker can be disconnected. dig? ;)
  6. darkfish01

Feb 11, 2005
    San Marcos, Tx
    Yeah, I should have noted that the internal speaker can be disconnected.