Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

In search of a good Growly head - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lokire, Sep 13, 2004.

1. Ok. So I recently bought a used Ken Lawrence Unity Bass and it is truly amazing in every respect :hyper: .

But now I need to focus on getting a real bass amp since all I have is this little 30W Hartke combo. I do have a Bass POD XT which is a great tool for recording and certainly has a wide range of sounds but I think with a real amp I could get a better sound - right?

So I'm in search of the ultimate tone and I want to get an amp. Just a head for now (I'll save for a cab later) and I'd like to spend no more than around $700 on it. The ideal tone that I'm after would be very growly, like a good Victor Wooten style growl.

I've heard that the GK RB-800's are growly amps and they seem to be pretty affordable. But other than that I'm not really sure what to consider, there's so much out there. So does anyone have any suggestions for a good growly amp? Or if there's anything else that would help me get that Wooten style tone, let me know.

2. You've got alot of searching to do. And you will see that alot of people will suggest different amps.

I will vote for GK. I own a GK-400-210 combo.. ill be moving up to the 1001.. and maybe a 810 or 412.. drool..

oh yeah it growls no worries.

3. Thanks....

Anyone have any other suggestions as to what I might want to check out?

4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Take your Bass POD XT and your bass to a good store. Run them through a power amp and a cab. Be sure you set the POD to "amp" instead of "DI".

And (this is crucial) don't run your POD through a 1000W amp cranked into a cab and think "this sounds all wrong." The EQ settings you've been using with the POD at home will be terrible at a loud level (a gig level, in other words). There are lots of technical reasons for this- Google for "Fletcher Munson effect." Experiment with the EQ settings and make sure you're really hearing what the POD can sound like into an amp.

You might already own the perfect "amp" and just need to give it a power section.

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Ampeg.