Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

in search of a rex brown tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wiggett, Jul 31, 2005.

1. so, i want a tone ala rex brown of pantera.

i could get a yorky xs800h, or a traynor yba200

or i could get a sansamp RBI and a preamp,

or anyother suggestions you have

thanks

-Riley

2. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    Well, first of all, the Sansamp RBI is a preamp. And a very good one at getting Rex's "Ampeg driven so hard it's about to blow up" sound.

I'm also a huge fan of Pantera and Rex's tone.

3. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Well I remember seeing some videos of pantera and he's playing through ampeg's 810HPC, his tone probably has something to do with his cabs, but they weigh 200 pounds.
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Dimensions: 48 x 26 x 16
    Weight: 205 Pounds
    Component 1: Magnet Weight: 54 oz
    Component 1: Size: 8 x 10" Cast
    Component 1: Voice Coil: 2.5"
    Component 2: Magnet Weight: 8 oz
    Component 2: Size: TRACTRIX Coax Driver
    Component 2: Voice Coil: 1"
    Crossover Frequency: 6 kHz
    Frequency Response (-3 dB): 50 Hz - 18 kHz
    Maximum SPL: 131 dB
    Nominal Impedance: 4 ohms
    Program Handling: 3000 Watts
    RMS Handling: 1500 Watts
    Sensitivity: 100 dB
    Usable Low Frequency (-10dB): 40 Hz

He's also used loads of different basses, I've seen him with spector, chevelle, and MM basses.

4. EQing a graphic EQ to a W shape helps a lot. Use a LOT of overdrive. Some compression helps as well.

5. are those tweeters in the speaker cones?

6. thanks for the help guys

but im more concerned about amps (head and cab, or pre/power and cab) because atm i have nothing, and our band is starting back up again, so i need something to use.

the RBI seems the most appealing because its fairly versatile for a metal/hardrock band. but ill also need a jazzy tone for jazz band at school. but metals my first priority.

so, is there a specific setup i should be looking at? and i do not want an 810, they are complete overkill, way to heavy and hard to move. so id prefer a 410 or 212. or both

thanks again

-Riley

7. I used a peavey firebass with a 410 and a sansamp BDDI for a fair time, did the trick, and those peavey rigs can be picked up fairly cheap second hand :)

8. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    As far as a head, I would say try an RBI with a decent power amp.

I'm using an RBI thru an RMX 850 (830 watts bridged) thru an Ampeg 6x10. I play in a band with two full stacks and a LOUD drummer, and I'm never wanting for volume. The best part is, I've got $900 into my whole rig.

I recently played a show with God Forbid and Full Blown Chaos. Both bassists used RBI's.

9. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    First, start off with a Spector Rex Brown signature Professional Series bass. They can be had for pretty cheap on eBay.

An RBI+power amp would do it nicely into an Ampeg cab. Getcha some heavy-duty picks, maybe a cheap compressor barely on, and you'll be golden. Oh yeah, start by detuning a full step. :)

10. how bout,

RBI>QSC PLX ____>avatar b212neo?

the landmark bass head sound files off tech21s site sound great. im pretty sure ill snatch up an RBI, if not then a yorky xs800h.

11. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF

A 212 might work out. Probably help get that darker sound that accompanies the Rex tone. But otherwise, you sound all set!

12. would an svt3pro throught an ampeg svt410hlf do a better job?

or an rbi and poweramp to the svt410hlf be betteR?

13. csholtmeier

csholtmeier

Feb 8, 2004
    omaha, ne
    The 3pro will probably be way too clean (and underpowered) for what you want. The RBI will do clean and VERY dirty, and everything in between.

The 3pro and 4pro just sound small and thin compared to the RBI/QSC combo.

14. Tsssssss dude. Crank the gain on both the 3pro and the 4pro and you get thick and very overdriven tones... nothing thin in there. If I remember correctly: Brown played with those SVT-4 Pro for years.

15. ive gotten a yorkville xs800h and avatar 212neo. in a week n a half ill post pics.