1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

In search of amplification: An adventure game

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ArvindJayaram, Jan 7, 2013.

1. To be honest, I don't want to end up like Roger Wilco 99% of the time.

I've been patiently making tweaks to my studio ever since I got my bass guitar, tightening up signal chains, settings, guitar and drum tones.

But while I like my solo bass guitar tone, I feel it does not merge into the rest of the music so well, which I attribute to the DI method of recording and before I draw flak, let me clarify it's a hi-z input on my interface.

I don't understand bass tone all that much either, I'm familiar withe sound on tracks like "Stand By Me" or "Another One Bites The Dust". But these seem to be sparse recordings with predominant bass.

In more densely packed music, it's more difficult making an impact. I want the instrument to be heard, but have only been able to achieve this with volume, not tone.

I thought a bass amp would be a logical step in my quest, something with a DI that I can mike as well. How would I choose an appropriate amp for a sound I cannot imaginewas reading how the isolated bass tracks of famous bassists have so much noise or artifacts or mistakes sometimes. I would like to avoid this, of course, but not have it hidden either.

. immy Rage

2. EQ other instruments around the frequency you want to come out in the bass.

3. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    A good solo bass tone usually isn't the best tone for in a mix. I find that most times I have to add some mids for it to sit right in the mix. I used to not know that, and since I have been running more "flat," as it were, I have more definition. Those old tones you mentioned from the days of yore have fewer sub lows and more mids than you might guess. Try it and see.

4. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    Line 6 Bass Pod XT, rackmountable.
    That plus a dry track should give you a multitude of really usable options.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021