In search of bass for friend.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Matteran, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    I have a friend who's getting into bass, and he has like a "dream" bass of sorts.

He want's a p-bass, j-bass, or ibanez style bass. Colors: White body, white pickguard, black fretboard (so i guess ebony, or something), and white headstock (probably impossible to find this one).

Cream won't do, he wants white.

He sent me this picture as a reference. Because he had asked me about Titan before, and I said I'd never heard of them, and that probably means they suck. I think he said it was selling for like 80 dollars or something.

Thanks in advance
  2. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Fart into a soup can. That is what the amp will sound like. I won't even start on the 12 picks. :bag:

You are correct, it is probably junk. Help him find some nice used gear. After he gets some skills, then he can start up with the GAS.
  3. He should forget about the color and focus on getting something decent. I don't think a 1W amp is worth a turd.
  4. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    +1 to screw the color for now, at least at a begginers price range. Check out the Ibanez GSR line, and maybe look at 30W Behringer amps to start off with. Keep the price low so he's not out a lot of money if he doesnt stick with it, or decides he wants to spend some serious money on upgrades.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Lol 1 watt amp.
  6. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.

You dont play bass for looks, You play bass to not get looked at...?! :bag:
  7. Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Titan guitars are horrible. Just in case you wanted to know.

I bought an acoustic from them off Ebay, the action is nasty, the bridge actually tore.

Look at the ESP B-50 series. Ibanez GSR, and some Yamaha's are really good starter basses.
  8. I agree with the other posters...for only $80, he is going to regret buying that bass. I haven't ever played (or heard of) "Titan" guitars, but I am sure the playability is pretty horrid. Also, that amp looks like it is physically incapable of producing any real low end, which will make it hard for him to properly learn what bass tones should sound like, in reference to CDs or tapes he is trying to jam to.

I wouldn't go less than 300 bucks for a guitar and starter amp. Personally, I started on an Epiphone package for about $350, back in '98. I know they and other companies like Squier and Ibanez still make similar combo packs. He might be able to find a white guitar in a package like this, but make sure he focuses on finding something that feels good and plays right. He can always slap on a white pickguard too, if that is really important.
  9. **** he can give me 80 bucks and I'll do the playing, he'd be better off than getting that pile of garbage.
  10. 1W? my cats have farts with more power than that!

Also, get him to stop worrying about the colour, if he is adamant on a white bass, get him a can of white spray paint with the instrument

Joking aside, you should really get him to look at AT LEAST a secondhand squier as a first bass, or even an ibanez. His playing ability will probably become way past that of the bass's quality, therefore the bass a waste of money.

Just what I think but I might be wrong....
  11. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    hehe. I thought that was a typo. wow...
  12. hehehe, that has to be one of the most amusing things I've ever seen as far as crappy equipment goes.
  13. Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    1 watt??? THAT takes crapy to a new level
  14. isn't the acoustic sound of strings louder then a 1 W
  15. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
  16. M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX

Want to see a $25,000 3 watt amp?

OK off topic, but I have seen 1 watt SET amps.
    Do a search for "Single-ended triode (SET) amplifiers".

17. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    the reference image isn't what he wants. It was a reference for the look.

the reason he showed me that picture, is because that's the only picture of a bass with the color scheme he wants.

He's looking at getting a 4x10, and 350 watt head.

He's been borrowing a friends rig for a while, and just played his first show.
  18. Well how much is he looking to spend? that's the major thing we need to know now I suppose.
  19. Special_Ed

Oct 3, 2004
    This guy played a show but can't buy his own bass and amp? :eek:
  20. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Thanks for giving me the first real belly laugh I've had in a long time. :D

Your friend would do better to paint himself white and dance around a fire while throwing his money into it than buying that turdly package.

I'd suggest something used, but if he's hell-bent on getting a new bass, check the SX thread (lot of people here are amazed at the value of those basses). At he could get a SX bass for around $120-$140, though I don't think they have them in white. He could get a Fender Bassman 25 as his amp at right now for $149, which is an amazing deal on a great little amp.