1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

In search of Gibson Ripper parts or replacements

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pjmuck, Jan 14, 2012.

1. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    I'm helping out a friend who is trying to restore his original '74 Ripper, which was heavily neglected over the years. He basically left it under his bed for years and never played it/maintained it. He will need to replace all the pots/knobs, and particularly the 4-position varitone/transfer switch. All are rusted beyond help. The pickguard disintegrated in my hands, so he'll need a replacement. (My repair guy said he thought the severe rust/oxidation might be the result of gasses emitted over time from the pickguard). Everything else on the bass is in good shape, including the pickups, which we tested for signal output. (Between 5.2 - 5.9k, which I'm told is about standard for these basses). Original parts would be his preference, but I know original parts can get pretty pricey, so he wants to get the bass at least up and running again.

Does anybody know of a replacement part for the 4-position switch/knob? Also, does anybody have any recommendations for tonal improvements overall? I understand the Ripper never gave you the option of selecting the neck PUP alone, and I think that would be a more useful choice than the 4th position out of phase option. Also wondering how muddy it would sound alone and whether or not a higher pot would clean it up.

Thanks

2. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    This place sometimes has the switches:

Guitar Parts, Switches items in Greatdealz1967 store on eBay!

But they don't have any at the moment. Any 4-position, 3-pole switch will work. I agree about changing the series out-of-phase selection to the neck pickup.

This would work:

Switch - Rotary 3P2-4T

The pots are just 250k for the volume and midrange choke, and 300k for the tone.

You can get pickguards from WD Music:

GibsonĀ® RipperĀ® Bass

I'm in Joisey, so let me know if I can be of assistance (I'm also a WD dealer).

3. Senator

Senator

Nov 11, 2008
    I have mine wired V/V/T with a 3-way pickup switch and I love it. The neck pickup alone sounds great.

I found something weird on that WD Music website:

It states,

"The earliest Gibson Ripper basses (1973-1975) do not have pickup mounting holes. Our tooling is based from this era so if you need mounting holes for the pickups you will need to provide a tracing. "

However, the picture shows a pickguard with mounting holes.

I actually have a Ripper pickguard from them for my '75 and it does have the mounting holes. The pickguard screw holes didn't line up at all, so I ended up getting a pickguard made by a local luthier.

Hope this helps.

4. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    That's weird.

5. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Do you mean you've got a standard Telecaster guitar 3 way switch installed, or is it an actual 3 way varitone of some sort that fits right into the previous pot hole route?

My friend's bass definitely does not have the 3 pickup/height screws, so yeah, if we plan on ordering a WD pickguard we want make sure the holes aren't routed.

6. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    He probably means a Gibson style toggle switch, like used on a Les Paul. It would fit right into the hole where the rotary switch was, though it would have to be opened up a little.

Something like this:

* WD Music Products - METRIC TOGGLE SWITCH CHROME

DCWDE7.

7. Senator

Senator

Nov 11, 2008
    Exactly.

8. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Update:

Would anyone happen to have a schematic for a 4 switch Ripper setup that would allow for the neck PUP alone + series/parallel switching? I had contacted my repair guy about revising the 4-way setup to do the following:

Position 1. Activate both pickups in a series in phase configuration.
    Position 2. Activates back bridge pickup only.
    Positon 3. Activates both pickups in parallel in phase configuration.
    Position 4. Activates front neck pickup only.

I sent an original Ripper schematic off to my repair guy, since it's all I could find (which shows wiring for out of phase option) and told him we wanted the 4 position knob to eliminate the out of phase option in favor of neck only but to maintain the series/parallel options, and he said he didn't think it was possible to have all 3, which sounds odd to me.

9. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    You can have any combination of things on a rotary switch. I guess electronics is not his forte.

I drew this up back in 1985

4-pos_series-parallel.

It shows the schematic and the bottom of a 3P4T rotary switch. A. B. and C are the three poles of the switch. The numbers (1-4) are the positions. "FB P.U." is fingerboard pickup, which was more common than saying neck pickup back then.

If he can't figure that out, let me know. I can wire up the witch for you.

10. pjmuck

pjmuck

Feb 8, 2006
    New Joisey
    Thanks for the schematic, David. My guitar tech "got it" now. Honestly, he's very good otherwise!

Will update once we've got all the parts and assembly completed. Should be a fun project.

11. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Yeah, many good luthiers aren't up on the electronics end.

I have pages of switch wirings I came up with over the years because I always found it fun to sit and figure those things out. :) But I was younger then and had more free time. lol