in search of jazz bass wiring diagram

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kappakappashred, May 20, 2021.

1. kappakappashred

kappakappashred

May 20, 2021
    im looking for a wiring diagram for a lefty jazz bass with VVT controls, push pull pots for both volumes to switch each pickup from series to parallel, with series in the down position and parallel in the up position. havent been able to find reverse taper push pull pots, so something needs to be wired backwards to make the knobs turn the right way if im not mistaken. PLEASE HELP!!!!

2. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    Can you describe what you mean by this?

In order for there to be a series or parallel circuit, you need two things. You can't put a single pickup in series, you need to put it in series with something else (i.e. another pickup). It's common to have a Jazz bass with one single series/parallel switch, but there's no reason to have two series/parallel switches on a Jazz bass (unless you've got multi coil Jazz pickups and you're switching the configuration of the coils in each pickup, but that's not really commonly done with Jazz pickups and most multi coil J pickups aren't even configured for it).

If you're using linear pots, you can just swap pins 1 and 3 in your wiring diagram to get the reverse function. If you want audio taper pots, you need to find a C taper (C is the reverse of the common A taper for most brands). I've never seen a C taper push pull but they may exist.

3. kappakappashred

kappakappashred

May 20, 2021
    i'm working with dimarzio relentless middle, and area j bridge pickups, both pickups have four leads, and can be wired in either series or parallel, i want each pickup to go to a push/pull pot so each can switch independently, and share a master tone.

dwizum likes this.
  4. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    Gotcha.

[​IMG]

Just sub in your appropriate wire colors, and ignore the selector switch.

5. kappakappashred

kappakappashred

May 20, 2021
    Many thanks!!!!

dwizum likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022