In search of that perfect amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by akuma12, Jul 28, 2005.

1. akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    So I'm in the market for a new amp (kinda sorta) and I've been trying to find something that fits my budget as well as my style. I'm not a pro by any stretch of the meaning, strictly amateur at the moment, but I desperately need a new amp. My old Peavey Basic 60 is crackling and popping and honestly I'd be embarassed to even drag it to a practice session. I generally like to play jazz, blues, funk, fusion, so I'm kinda looking for a retro, 70's kind of tone.

My bass teacher has suggested a used Eden head and cab, which I've been seriously looking at, but he also suggested a British made Ashdown. I've heard lots of good things about the Chinese made ones, and even better things about the Brit made ones. Anyone have a price range on an approximately 300w Brit made Ashdown head, and what model name I need to look for? I'm trying to limit my budget to around 600-1000 dollars for both head and cab.

Also, what kind of cabinet should I get? 2x10, 1x15, 2x12, 4x10? I'm mostly interested in doing small venue gigs, so I don't need anything blisteringly loud, but I would like some warm, thick, low thump, perhaps with a good tweeter for those nice snappy highs. I also play upright, so I'd need something that could bring out that woodsy tone. Thanks very much for any assistance you can give :)

2. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I think you'll find your answer here :)

Edit: You could pick up a new ashdown head w/ an avatar 210 & even a 115 for under $1000. Ashdown Mag 300h- $268, Avatar B210 Neo-$269, Avatar B115H Neo- $249= Total $786+shipping.

You could also find an Eden WT550 head used for around $700-800, and pick up a new avatar 210 cab for $269. Probably end up right under $1000. I might go this way if I were you. The Eden sound might be better suited for your upright playing.

I've never used any ashdown stuff, but have heard its good gear at a great price. Eden is outstanding...matter of fact I'd like a WT550 myself, compact and powerfull. I think it would compliment my bag end cabs nicely.
  3. akuma12

Aug 25, 2003
    Sarasota, FL
    Ah cool thanks very much for the suggestions :) I'll have to keep an eye out on Ebay for good Eden deals, and maybe see if the local music stores know of anyone trying to get rid of one. Thanks for the link to the Avatar cabs too, they seem to be what I want for the price.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Not yet. When you are ready to be that loud, come on back with a few thousand bucks in your pocket, and we'll all help you spend it.

I like Eden gear also. You should be able to put together an Eden rig for a grand. If not, you will be very happy with the Ashdown/Avatar rig.