1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

in search of the growling midrange punch!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by KNURRR, Oct 13, 2009.

1. KNURRR

KNURRR

Oct 12, 2009
    Hello guys,

i just recently joined this forum, because i have a question regarding a certain tone i got in my head.
    here is the problem:

since i got my lakland jo4 my squier vm 70s jazz is not played anymore due to some obvious reasons. anyway i want to change this, because i still like the feel of the instrument and therefore want to change its tonal abilities.

im thinking of buying new pickups that provide me a typical jaco-growl, mid-frequency oriented sound.
    do you guys think that fender's CS 60s jazz pups would do the job or do you have other advice for me.

thanks for your help! :bassist:

2. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    I'd look into getting some Aero's.

3. KNURRR

KNURRR

Oct 12, 2009
    do you know if there exist some sound samples?

4. KNURRR

KNURRR

Oct 12, 2009
    anyone?

5. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    You can most definitely get the Jaco mids from those pickups, I do so on a daily basis. Solo the bridge pup, play over it, and boost 500hz.

6. i just put a sd sjb-3 quarterpounder bridge pup in my jazz and it sounds just like what your saying. my bass already had a similar tone, but the sd made it alot clearer and deeper while still emphasizing that mid-growl. i posted a sound clip in this section. -joep

7. KNURRR

KNURRR

Oct 12, 2009
    thx joep, the pickup does sound great!

8. KNURRR

KNURRR

Oct 12, 2009
    hm anymore opinions?

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    not sure they are the tone you are looking for, but I really dig the stuff from www.delano.de

They have a very wide frequency response and are very sensitive (pick up everything).

Here are some youtubes of their jazz pickups

10. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    Pete Biltoft at www.vintagevibeguitars.com can totally help you out. He's great at taking your descriptions of what you want, and translating that into a pickup wind.

Custom winds, reasonably priced, and he's a great guy to deal with.

11. KNURRR

KNURRR

Oct 12, 2009
    thanks for your suggestions!