In Search of Tubey Goodness...Blue Tube 903?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DennyOnBass, Dec 22, 2003.

1. DennyOnBass

DennyOnBass Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2003
    Traverse City, MI
    I'm putting together a pedal board with the primary purpose of giving myself added tonal control in situations where I either don't generally use an amp (certain coffee house gigs) or have to use someone else's rig.

The control center of this pedalboard is a Radial Tonebone Bassbone. I just got this pedal, it seems like a great unit and I can't wait to take it out and use it in a live situation.

The Bassbone has a switchable effects loop, and I'm thinking what I could really use is some sort of tube pedal, maybe the Blue Tube 903, to kick in for solos when I'm playing my Modulus 6 string and to add some natural compression and some grit to my fretless or electric upright. I'm not interested in getting distortion/overdrive as much as just some grit and compression.

So, is the Blue Tube pedal what I'm looking for, or is there something else that might fit the bill a bit better? I really want a pedal for this purpose...I need something very small and portable.
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The blue tube is cool, there's also the SIB fatdrive which is larger than the blue tube but IMO better.

The blue tube pedal was good for dialling in some grind, but the SIB to my ears was better at dialling in some tubey goodness.
  3. DennyOnBass

DennyOnBass Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2003
    Traverse City, MI
    The Fatdrive seems to be more like what I'm looking for. I don't think the size would be an goal is just to be able to keep everything in a Warwick Rockcase, so there should still be plenty of room left over for whatever other gadgets I might decide to add in the future.

I really want the black one with the bright switch, though. Not for the switch, but because it just looks cooler... :)
  4. I have the rackmount version of the blue tube and one of the nice things about it is you can really vary the sound depending on what type of tube you have in it... Although since the FatDrive uses a 12ax7 too, that probably is the same case with it.

Either way, good luck!