Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'in series' problems

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Howard K, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Oakily dokily then...

I bought a cheap compressor (behringer composer pro), just to try it out and learn about compression

When I plug it in series into my Euphonic Audio iAMP600 I get the most unbelievable mains hum you ever heard!!!

I've tried balanced and unbalanced cables and there's no change.
    I've plugged the composer pro into my mixing desk and expereicend no problems.

So I guess it's the se d and return on the amp.. but the amp works perfectly otherwise?

anyone got any experiences of mains hums, problems with using effects 'in series' etc?

ta
    H

:(

2. Um... ground loop? If any of your devices is plugged into the same wall socket as any other one, try moving it. I'd move the amp plug first.

3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    hmm, could be? thanks I'll try that.

if that is the problem, how would i get round this playing live - where it's likely that both bits of kit would have to be plugged into the same socket?! :eek:

4. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Try either changing the polarity of the plug (plugging it in opposite), or get a 3-prong cheater so the ground pin is not connected.

5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Eh? - Are you talking power plugs or? I'm in the UK?!

6. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    Does your amp have an earth lift switch? This should stop the ground loopng prob.
    There is another solution, but not as cheap.
    Get a power conditioner (Samson Powerbrite's prob the best one) this unit supplies power to all of your devices, and cleans up the signal as well.

Oh yes, and it has a nice blue racklight too :cool:

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    well, it has one externally for the DI, but there doesnt appear to be one for the entire amp or send & returns?
    i suppose it might be internal - but unlikely?

Just to double check, Compression should be used in series shouldnt it? - rather than ahead of the pre-amp, i.e. bass > compressor > amp?