In-shop playing

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by El_Bunto, Aug 16, 2002.

1. This might have been done before (im saying cos ill be surprised if it hasnt) an sorry if it has but im new around here and to lazy to search for a thread on this:( . anyway what songs do you play when you go into a shop?
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    I limber up with a couple of scales and maybe run through a solo bass piece. I do like the 'Pump it Up' riff so I might bore people with that.

BTW whats with every other poster coming from Swindon at the moment? Have they just got rid of carrier pidgeons? BTW I spend my childhood summers in Brinkworth nr Wooton Basset.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I would say the thing is not to play actual songs as this is undoubtedly going to annoy some people and give the impression to the sales people that you are just there to mess around and show off, rather than buying!

When I'm trying a bass, I'm looking at how every note sound sounds on every string at every fret - consistent tone and the feel and playability. Usually the best way to determine whether a bass is going to work for you is not to play songs but rather long held notes. I am also interested in harmonics, as some basses seem to produce these more easily than others.

Nobody is going to be impressed that you can play "xxxxx" song and music store staff will have heard it all before and can spot timewasters pretty quickly.
  4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I play the most popular KoRn songs.
    Its a sure-fire way to impress the ladies:D
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Yup - that's just what I meant! ;)
  6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    ill just slap the hell out of my bass till I annoy all the present bassplayers there...

welll, then i go play chordal stuff, then regular groove, then some of the songs i might remember, etc etc.

although while in USA I was at a GC and did my stuff and I got:

-1 invitation to teach bass to a little kid (his father asked me "what is that stuff you are doing with your thumb?" then i got into explaining :) LOL)

-1 invitation to a rehearsal (by some guy who is on a "Tejano" music band... he aproached me with a "what's that last riff you played?" and i told him "it's mine" and then slowed it down for him, he grabed another bass and we started talking. later he was doing his stuff alone (pretty good i might add) and approached me with a invitation to rehearse with them but since i was leaving the city I couldn't get going.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

We're headed to Guitar Center. Better bring your NAMM chops!:p
  8. Kooool i work in wootton bassett, and the company i work for deliver's up there, next time someone say's brinkworth i'll think a bass player used to have summer's there.
    p.s hey bunt u went through with the thread then, lol
  9. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I tend to do scales first, then harmonics. Then I tend to walk some octaves up the neck. There's this tune that Stanley Clarke does on his "If This Bass Could Only Talk" CD that walks up the neck thumpin' and poppin' off octaves, then goes into some sweet finger funk. Basically I've bastardized that.

Then I tend to play a few bars of whatever I'm trying to learn at the moment. Usually some new age gospel stuff. Since it's something I'm learning it's always at the front of my mind and I can still "hear in my head" how it sounds with my own basses and rig for comparison.

10. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I usually play Around the world, cauz this song uses a lot of low and high notes ...
    ==> it's a very nice way to impress women too :p

I slap some stuff, just to check if i impressed someone.... But I usually don't....imrpessed anyone...

If there are any young and attractive ladies in the shop I play a sweet riff I learned some times ago ...
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Hmmm.... I think irony is wasted here!
  12. A bassline I developed in the 80's for a friend's song seems to work rather well as a solo piece if I play it double time, what with the slapping and tapping and all. Best of all, most GC (or other music store) staff will not have heard it before and it sure as hell impresses the ladies...but it's usually their boyfriends who are the musicians shopping at the store.:cool:
  13. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    1) Mxpx- Chick Magnet
    2) Supertones- Shutup and play
    3) Cream- Sunshine of your love
    or any jazzy riff i can think of

14. To tell you the truth, this is precisely what I do when I try out a bass. Even if I had serious chops (I don't), I would still follow this same guideline when trying out anything in a store.
  15. john the fisherman/too many puppies/those damn blue collar tweakers-chords

jerry was a race car driver/generic offset tap rythym-tapping

riddles are abound tonight/the return of sathington willoughby- pop(only when im not doing the awakening)

killing in the name of/ money/ riders on the storm-fingering
    and the awakening to do a little of all of it.
  16. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    It's good to know that the same tossers I hear in the music stores are also posting here. :rolleyes:

I am entertained by people trying to "show off" in music stores; because 99% of the people attempting to show off are poor to moderate players at best. "Listen to me, I can sort of play <insert Les Claypool riff here>... nevermind that it's really sloppy and sounds terrible". It's amusing for about 5 minutes, then it's just annoying.

This is the primary reason I avoid music stores at all costs.
  17. Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    first thing that pops in my head, unless its a fretless, then you gotta play some jaco :)