1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

in TAMPA: My band opens for Dave LaRue THIS FRIDAY (8/17)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tampabass, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    Thought I'd let Tampa Bay area people (and other interested parties) know that my band, Acme Jazz Garage, is opening for Dave LaRue's band this Friday night (Aug. 17) at Skipper's Smokehouse in north Tampa.

Dave LaRue is a great bass guitarist who has played with the Dixie Dregs, Steve Morse Band, Joe Satriani's G3 and many others.

The pressure, the pressure! :eek:

My band plays a mix of jazz, blues, funk, rock, jam, and some New Orleans groove stuff. For this show, I'll strictly stick to my Tony Franklin fretless P.

We start at 8 p.m., and will play for about an hour. Link to more details is here. If you come out, please come up and say hello.

You can reach my band's Facebook page here

2. Awesome gig man, kick a rock n' roll sized hole in the mutha for all of us on TB!

3. Tampabass

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    As you wish!
    (thanks)

4. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    I watched him play with Steve Morse from 10 feet away and it was a jaw dropping experience. Remember to have fun.

5. Tampabass

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    Yeah, I caught him play a clinic at the Guitar Center here in Tampa just a few months ago - Dude's got skillz!

6. i would quit... now. :p

7. Tampabass

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    if I saw Marcus Miller, Stanley Clarke and Victor Wooten together, and Jack Bruce, Esperanza Spalding and Meshell NdegeOcello, too, in the same four-day stretch (Montreal Jazz Fest, last month) and didn't quit, then there's no stopping me now! :)

8. Tampabass

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
  9. Tampabass

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    TONIGHT!

10. We have a rehearsal studio right next door to Skippers and I go there about once a week, but I won't be able to make it out tonight. I'll spread the word though. Have a great show!

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Hey man, hope you have an awesome time! Dave's an old friend whom I haven't seen in a while but I took lessons off him for a few years. I need to go out and see him. I've worked with his drummer quite often, too, and he's a badass.

12. Tampabass

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    Thanks, guys. Yeah, Dru (drummer) is a great player. Talked to him a bit last night, and we had a lot of musical friends in common, although I've never previously played with Dru. He does a good deal of work in the Tampa Bay area. I took a few lessons from Beaver Felton (he and Dave are both still part of Bass Central in O-town, as far as I know).

I posted this mini-review on my Facebook page:

"Really enjoyed great bass guitarist Dave LaRue's trio last night, with mega-shredder guitarist Clay Foster and terrific drummer Dru Betts, at Skipper's (Acme Jazz Garage opened the show).

LaRue's band played a heavy mix of fusion, rock, jazz and funk, turning in some chops-heavy, jaw-dropping originals and intriguing versions of Thelonious Monk's "Blue Monk," Jaco's "Teen Town" (Weather Report), a metal-to-bop version of Charlie Parker's "Donna Lee," Chick Corea's "Spain," and, I think, Billy Cobham's "Red Baron."

LaRue, one of the speediest bass guitarists around, really ripped it up, pulling some beautiful tones from his Ernie Ball Music Man Bongo 4 bass and executing some speedy, melodic passages on the uniquely shaped instrument.

There was a small but attentive crowd for the show - too bad the local media didn't give more attention to the concert; maybe next time. LaRue and his bandmates are based in the Orlando area, so they'd be a natural for big music festivals in the Tampa Bay area, including the Clearwater Jazz Holiday and the Gasparilla Music Festival.'