1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

In TB opinions what is THE bass pickup.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by badstonebass, Mar 6, 2013.

1. badstonebass

badstonebass

Jun 7, 2006
    ohio
    What is the best sounding, simplest, bass pickup system available in your opinion, and WHY do you hold that opinion.

I am partial to the EMG PBass system but I am interested in other opinions because I am planning on a build soon.

2. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

Feb 3, 2012
    S/E Michigan
    my schecter has EMG's on it but, we have SGD here as an active member of TB so i would at least give him a shot.

3. 100% opinion and preference. What works in one genre may not work in another.

4. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz

May 26, 2010
    This is like saying what's the best flavor of ice cream. Ridiculous question....because they are ALL good! It's more a matter of matching a pup with what you like tonally and what kind of music your playing.

I bet I can speak for myself and others, that those of us who own more than one bass probably have different pups in each one for the most part, because each has their own inherent tone and use.

5. badstonebass

badstonebass

Jun 7, 2006
    ohio
    How about wording it like this.

If you could choose only one bass pickup/system to use what would it be.

6. BassyBass81

BassyBass81

Feb 26, 2013
    wny
    So how bout' if you have a cheap brice 6'er and you like rock music and consider your (ideal) tone to be gritty and cutting but also like a nice full low end "boom" aswell, but nothing that would muddy up the cut through the mix?:bag:

7. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Really, TB is dissappinting today.

I am waiting for the 'bridges with metric vs standard screws for rock' question. It can't be too far off.

8. badstonebass

badstonebass

Jun 7, 2006
    ohio
    Sure is, but not for the reason you state. I guess I am the only guy on earth that has a preferred system.

I have 5 basses and 5 different systems on all of them, so it's not like I have nothing to go by. I was just wanting some input towards some systems/pickups I may have ignored over the years before I decide what to put in my build.

The tendency to preach instead of answer questions is the reason most BB eventually turn to crap.

If you are unable to articulate what pickup/system you prefer and why...don't bother to post anything. Yet I suspect you people would be the first to jump on a post praising a certain pickup.

9. Everyone has their preference. But you asked for 'the best'. I have multiple basses with multiple systems, and none is 'the best' as they are all set up for different tones.

That being said, I have been happy with pickups by Nordstrand, Wilkins and Hanson. Preamps I have liked are made by Aguilar and Carvin (SB5000 pre).

10. FourBanger

FourBanger

Sep 2, 2012
    SE Como
    Okay, you tell me what pickup comes stock in an RBX170 and I'll crown it.

11. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

May 13, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS, D-TAR
    I"ll step up. Alembic Series II.

12. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    The one you like.

13. GlassOnion

GlassOnion 1.21 Gigawatts

Apr 4, 2011
    Tempe Arizona
    I prefer the jammastergroovefunkinjazzmetalator. Very rare.

Or Lane Poor. Almost as rare.

14. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

May 19, 2010
    Exeter, NH
    you know what? i agree. this whole "personal preference" mantra has gone a bit far, to the point where people will hardly even give their opinions. we're stuck between goofballs who hate on stuff for no good reason and zen masters who practically ridicule you for sharing an actual preference.

i think the P split-coil pickup is THE bass pickup.

15. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    flatwounds

16. badstonebass

badstonebass

Jun 7, 2006
    ohio
    Thanks. What I was trying to say...only better.

17. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    I had a Parts Jazz Bass with Sadowsky pickups and pre. It cut through the mix like it was warm butter, but still had that classic Fender sound.

18. DrSpunkwater

DrSpunkwater

Sep 17, 2012
    A passive P split-coil is pretty much the measuring stick for all other pickups, so that'd be the one.

19. My personal favorite is EMG DCs with a 3 band EMG preamp (BQC or BQS). I've played basses with other systems in them, but always want to pull out those in favor of this one. I'm intrigued by SGD, Q-Tuners, and Lace Alumitones, but the EMGs just work for me...

20. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    Tort!

Around a P!