1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

In the beginning God created heavy metal…

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bass40hz, Mar 13, 2019 at 1:45 PM.

1. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2010
    los angeles
    It's pretty obvious to me that Black Sabbath and Judas Priest are metal. The sound that defines those two bands unique sounds define what metal is. Sabbath was the Groovy Doom, Priest was the Neo Classical Proto-Thrash Riffage.
    Zep and Purple are pure Rock and Roll. The have their metal moments, and riffs as did Rainbow, Rush, Blue Cheer, even the Beatles... But Sabbath and Priest were Metal Bands. Even the weird early hippie stuff lol.

deernaes likes this.
  2. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    Irony... Reading this thread with music running on random... don felders heavy metal comes on.

3. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    Have you heard Master of Reality or Vol. 4?

4. I am Soma

I am Soma Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2013
    MN
    heavy music makes up 90% of what i listen to and i can't stand anything judas priest and black sabbath have done. heaviest band of that era was king crimson IMHO

5. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    "Helter Skelter" came out more than a year before the first Sabbath album.

6. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Back in my day (shakes spiked fist) I considered metal to be Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Scorpions, Black Sabbath, DIO, Ozzy... probably forgetting a few. I remember when Metallica was one of the new upstarts. Get off my lawn, er parking lot.

7. Single Coil

Single Coil Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2006
    Lawn Chair GIF.

Novarocker likes this.
  8. those first Priest records are are like heavy blues, not really metal.
    Sabbath, yes, first album was pretty metal. Doom metal.

Deep Purple though, in 1971, released Fireball, and Ian Paice played the double bass intro followed by Ritchie Blackmore's rapid fire staccato guitar pretty much invented speed metal. It was way faster than anything Sabbath or Priest had done at that point.

9. diegom

diegom

Jun 18, 2008
    I always posited that JS Bach was the first Heavy Metal Composer, since we don't know much about his performance style and the fact that he played in Churches and such.

To me, Niccolo Paganini was the first Heavy Metal shredder... Even Speed Metal!!!

IMHO, YMMV

Nashrakh likes this.
  10. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Love this discussion! Wish I was around when all this came out. I'm not too privy on dates, etc. But I've read in a few books that Zep I, specifically Communication Breakdown was the "fastest, heaviest" song than anything that had come out to that point. I still think they were rooted in blues keys and influence, but I'd say them, Blue Cheer, and Deep Purple were all the "firsts" to go down that road. Then Sabbath, Jethro, and Judas all truly separated the genre from rock. Then all the others continued to define it. Granted I don't know much of Blue Cheer's work, but I think those latter 3 really stepped away from blues tuning first.

Two things I've noticed though: most of these bands all started/started recording about the same time, or close to it (1968ish). And I've heard that prior to their first album Sabbath was heavily blues influenced until changing direction and going much heavier.

Motorhead defined speed metal or at least heavy fast riffage IMO. Before that though, some of Lemmy's work in Hawkwind was pretty metal if you ask me and there's also how heavy and non blues like King Crimson was.

Also of note to me, I could be completely wrong, but I swear I read that blue cheer brought the squeal of pinch harmonics to metal and used it more than occasionally.

Edit: I could be wrong on a lot of this. None of this is first hand knowledge, all second hand so I could have read incorrect sources. Just going from my opinion of course.