1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

In the Court of the Crimson King: Greg Lake's Bass Sound

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OPBASSMAN1994, Aug 14, 2012.

1. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    Anyone know what year Jazz bass Greg Lake used on King Crimson's debut album? (I know he was partial to jazzes)

Also, strings and amp would be nice to know, if anyone has any idea of that.

I really like the warm, but kind of clanky tone he gets, particularly on 21st Century Schizoid Man and The Court of the Crimson King.

2. Ivan R

Ivan R

Jun 8, 2012
    I don't have the answer to your question, but wow, what a GREAT album.

bholder likes this.
  3. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    I think I remember seeing a picture of him with his bass and it had block inlays, which leads me to believe it's a '70s jazz bass. But then again, the album came out in '69 so that's probably not the case...:confused:

4. IIRC the block inlays came around in the late 60s.

Edit: someone here posted recently the isolated bass track for "21st Century....", worth searching for :bassist:

5. OPBASSMAN1994

OPBASSMAN1994

Jul 30, 2010
    I know he had the block inlay jazz during his years with ELP, but I think it was a different one. It sounds a tad different, and I've seen a video somewhere of Crimson's first gig at Hyde Park, and I seem to remember that he had the typical dot inlays.

6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    I think it was a late 60s jazz with rotosound strings and hiwatt amps ...

I don't know for sure ...

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    here it is ... isolated bass track .. but it doesn't sound quite right to me ...I always thought he played more of the guitar line in the begining.

8. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    OMG, I love that album.:bassist:

9. King Crimson.JPG

love King Crimson! Don't know what year bass though...

10. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters

11. bootsox

bootsox

Apr 28, 2012
    Biloxi, MS
    Listening to the title track now, it sounds like a mid-late 60's jazz with rotosound flats being played really hard

12. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    amazing

13. RickC

RickC Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2005
    Very early backstage photo, London, prior to the US tour.

Note the strings; tough to tell for sure, but it's tempting to say he was using tapewounds here based on the black appearance.

greglakecrimson.

/rick

bholder likes this.
  14. Richard_P_Harve

Richard_P_Harve

May 19, 2011
    I always thought that he played a P-Bass with flats with King Crimson but maybe not.

Attached Files:

15. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    There's a video of Emerson, Lake & Palmer jamming in a room,i forget which song they were working on, but it shows greg lake with a black jazz bass playing through a fender amp. definitely with a pick. he picks close to the neck

16. Max Marchini

Max Marchini

Oct 28, 2017
    Hi
    During The King Crimson era Greg used a late 1966 sunburst jazz bass with block inlays and oval tuner machine, typical of that year. He always had Rotosound Swing bass strings, steel no nickel. Sometimes he may have tried other ones but that were the strings. When he formed ELP he bought a early 1969 black jazz bass and had several ones during the years.

17. B-Mac

B-Mac Sorting Things Out Supporting Member

Check out this isolated bass track from 21st Century Schizoid Man

Mr. Marchini nailed it!

Tape wounds at first but he wanted it to sound like the lower end of a piano and he went with Rotosound swing bass 66 roundwound strings. Read this and heard it on several interviews with GL

Jazz bass with ELP
    Greg-Lake-in-1972-749199.

Jazz Bass with KC
    untitled. 4af46053cca69c93430b164019e642ff.