Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

In the "Doghouse"

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by gottawalk, Feb 25, 2006.

1. I'm probably missing something in my search here, but I can't find a history for the term "doghouse" as it applys to the upright bass. Anyone know where the term originated?

Thanks!

2. Good Question! The earliest reference I can find is 1916, when baseball was all the rage, and some of the baseball terminology found its way into Jazz Slang.
    _Baseball Magazine_, October, 1916, No. 6, p. 26
    "Fiddle means to steal a base. Big doghouse fiddle means to work the double steal."

3. Well, THAT's intersting! Thanks! The only reference so far that I've found say the the jazz community referred to it as a "doghouse" because of it having a big box shape. (lame!)

I like yours much better!:D Thanks again.

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    "In the" DogHouse is when your Wife throws you out and you have to sleep with the Dog.:eek:

"The" DogHouse is a Slang term for the Bass from I don't know where, nor do I care to learn..:eyebrow:

5. So, is this where the term "double base" comes from? :scowl:

6. So you wasted your time even replying to this, ...why???...

7. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.

No, I answered your original question. Now you have to start a new Post about the Bass. Your first one was about the Wife!

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It's funny - I never heard it called that in Britain and have only seen the term used on TalkBass!! :eyebrow:

Although we do have the term Ken mentions about being in trouble! ;)

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I looked on Google and found people calling "TeaChest" bass "the DogHouse" - so that's like where somebody sticks a broom handle into a large empty tea chest and ties a string on the end to make a one string primitive bass sound - used in "skiffle"....

I imagine you could do the same thing with a wooden dog kennel - turn it so the entrance is on the ground, make a hole for a broom handle, get some string and hey presto!! :D

10. Randy Ward

Randy Ward Formally Known As Univac Jr. Supporting Member

The first time I ever heard the term 'Dog House' was when I was young and proudly was rolling my first carved bass down Wabash Avenue in Chicago after buying it from Kagen & Gains. I was beaming! An old man yelled at me "Hey kid where ya going with that DOGHOUSE"
    I didn't know WHAT to think and explained that it was a musical instrument. He said, "I know what it is and you look stupid, get yourself a Fender." I asked my dad about and he said the guy was probably a bass player worried about competition or maybe he worked at a music store wanted to sell me a bass guitar. When I asked him about the term 'Dog house' he said it probably came from the shoulders looking like the slopes of a roof on a dog house. I do think it is a uniquely American slang term. Wasn't there post somewhere here where somebody complied all the names for a double bass. (my favorite: Old Thumper)

11. Good god!:eek: I'm that transparent??? Sorry...;)
    I knew as soon as I hit that button to post it that I'd get crap for this. Must have been a Freudian thing.

Thanks for playing! 100 points to KSB!

P.S. Checked out your site and love your style! :bassist:

12. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I always figured the term simply appiled to the only instrument big enough that a good sized dog could sleep in it.

13. Who knows... could be one of the many reasons.