Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"In The Heat Of The Night"-Who played fretless?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by lneal, Jun 16, 2002.

1. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I did a search and couldn't find anything on this. I also posed the question in a reply to another thread and got nothing. So:
    Remember the TV show "In The Heat Of The Night"? Who played all those incredible fretless fills? Not in the theme but during the show. Very tasty work. I have wondered for years and no one seems to know. Can anyone tell me? JimK? Thanks guys!

2. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I don't know but I do remenber the great bass playing. That would be cool to know.

3. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Sorry to get tangential here, but along the lines of "fretless" and "t.v. show"...you know whats a fun line to play? The theme song to "Northern Exposure"...

4. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Yea, NE is a great theme song, and fun to play but I know who played that one already! David Schwartz: who also did all the music for the show. Thanks for the input though Jontom. There has been great bass work all over TV that goes largely unrecognized.

And still I wonder: who played that "In The Heat of The Night" stuff????

5. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Oh thats not input...my input would be that it is Mark Egan. I don't know this for sure because I haven't really watched the show(the movie was great BTW). I just know that Mark does a lot of t.v. soundtracks and commercials.

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    lneal-
    ...I don't have a clue(I haven't seen that show...was Glenn Frey in it?).

How 'bout asking Jerry Byers or Brad?

7. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    Thanks JimK. I appreciate your response. I am always impressed by your knowledge of who played what. I will ask those guys.

FYI: The show starred Carroll O'Connor as Chief Bill Gillespie and Howard Rollins as Det. Virgil Tibbs. It was about cops in a small Mississippi town. It aired in the mid to late 80's. Great show, big hit here in the south. Don't know about Frey being in it. They have reruns of it on cable somewhere, not sure where.

Appreciate it.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Oh, now I remember(at least)that show with Carroll O'Connor.
    Thought about it again this mornin' & going with Jerry's instinct that it's a West Coast session guy-

How 'bout Neil Stubenhaus?

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    lneal-
    ...I just did a Google search on "Neil Stubenhaus"-
    The page I hit did list Heat Of The Night as one of his shows.
    Maybe he's your man?

;)