Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

In the market for a 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Jan 17, 2006.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    Hey guys, im looking to replace and add onto my current rig. i use a plx 1202 with a RBI and a pbass. i play in a rock n roll band and my avatar delta 2x10 isnt cutting it anymore. We are getting much bigger shows and i want to get a bigger cab. Im looking at 2x12's because they will have the low end my 2x10 lacks right now, and i can put the 2x10 on top for really big shows.

I looked at avatar since its what my 2x10 is, but i hear people saying its really big. I need a box that isnt overly large. So i looked at dr bass and then i was told that they take for ever to build cabs. So, i dont know where to go next. Any suggestion? Im looking in the $300-400 range.

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Just get the Avatar 212. If it's too heavy, get the Neo version. Might as well match the cabs.

3. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    BRX12, about $450.

4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I would check to see if the Ernie Ball Musicman Audiophile HD212 is still for sale in the TB classified section. You won't find a better cabinet in your price range.

5. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    I've got an old Peavey 15" Black Widow cab. Its dimension are nearly the same as an Avatar 2x12 (three quarters of an inch deeper, and an eighth inch shorter).

It's not compact. I wouldn't say it's big, either. It's in the, "Deadlift it and haul it around," size category. By myself, it's not too bad but a second person makes carrying it a breeze. It's not bad to fit into my car (a four-door Saturn) - but if it was any deeper (depth-wise) it would not fit (the problem is getting it through the door). I've got a pretty good sized back seat, too, so it may be too large for you.

6. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    does dr bass really take a long long time to ship? Because i would rather have that cab even if it doesnt match. i think the outer covering is a better idea, and its about 10 lbs lighter and not much more.

im just worried if i order it now i wont get it till april.

7. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Orskard, Considering you live in Indiana, you might want to take a ride up to LDS(Detroit) and check out some of Dons custom cabinets. His pricing is very competitive, workmanship is excellent with first quality componants. I've got a 210 neo and a 212 neo, and love both. They've recieved good reviews in Bass Player and from several other players on TB

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    +1 A little on the heavy side, but a very nice sounding cab! I would do a search on the DRbass optimistic delivery times.

9. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
  10. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    The SWR Bigfoot would be a good choice if you can find one. I took a Workingmans 2x12 and replaced the original speakers with a pair of Emenince drivers,and I'm really happy with it.Great low end,more power handling and it still weighs less that 60 lbs.

11. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    orskard, I sent you a PM

12. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    avatar 212 easy.. it will also sit perfectly under your 210..

13. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    ill see how this gig goes on thursday, but i think im just going to order the larger avatar 2x12.

i really like the avatar i have now, its just i would be nice if i could move it with out taking my back out in the process.

14. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    Sounds like Avatar is a reasonable choice.:cool:

If you did Dr.Bass today, I'd bet dollars to doughnuts you wouldn't see it until early May at the earliest.:spit:

LDS is always a great alternative.;)

15. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    Hey orskard get the 212 with the wheels and you will not have a problem. I have the Avatar 212LF with the wheels bolted on and it is a breeze to move. The only time I have to lift it is when I take it out of my van or I come to some stairs and she is really not as heavy as she looks. The handles are in a good spot also so she is not that awkward to carry for the brief moments that I have to.