In the market for a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWBass, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Fender American Deluxe 5st.

1 vote(s)
  2. Lakland Skyline 55-02 5st.

24 vote(s)
  3. Conklin GT-5 5st.

2 vote(s)
  4. Ibanez BTB1000E 5st.

2 vote(s)
  5. Brian Moore i5 5st.

0 vote(s)
  6. Yahama TRB5II 5st.

2 vote(s)
  7. Fender Roscoe Beck 5st. (I know, not active)

6 vote(s)
  1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Okay, now that I have my new amp, I'm going to to be looking for a new bass. I'm in the market for a 5 string active bass and my price range will be $1200 +/- a few hundred bucks. I play mostly finger style but I do play slap style quite often and desire some decent string spacing. Out of the posted list, I've only played the Fender American Deluxe 5 and I thought it played and sounded sweet. Any thoughts or opinions will be greatly appreciated.
  2. The Lakland is a pretty nice bass. Probably would be my choice from the above group.

Have you considered a Warwick? Maybe a little more than the others on the list, but it definitely has a tone that works well for both slap and fingerstyle playing.
  3. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    No matter what the polls end up saying, there will only be ONE option from that list...

Lakland 55-02

But if possible look for a used Lakland 55-94 or at least 55-02 Deluxe.

Used is the way to shop for a good quality bass...
  4. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Try to find a used Roscoe. I believe BassNorthWest has one with a ColoBolo top. Roscoes are the biz baby ;)
    I also love my Stingray 5.... :bassist: If i was to do it over again though I would hunt like mad for a Roscoe. They sing with those barts...
    Keep the Funk Alive!!!!
  5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Are you saying I can find a used Roscoe 5 string bass for $1200 +/-$$?? Hmmm, I'm just very leery about buying used! No matter what it is! As far as Warwicks go, I do not like them. I've played a few and they just didn't feel comfortable in my hands! Plus I like more traditional styled bodies (as if the Conklin is traditional :meh: ). The Warwick bodies are too small for my taste. Same deal with Spectors.....great sound but the body style and feel doesn't suit me. Thanks for the replies so far. Keep 'em coming........
  6. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    sorry this took me awhile; I had to mow the lawn and do the honey do list. call bassnorthwest and ask for steve. there are
    used roscoes on the bassnorthwest web site. good looking stuff to. the b string on those roscoes is, to me, awesome. :bassist: Folks who buy the highend stuff usually take good care of it so you should be fine buying used. hey in my world it takes A LONG TIME to save for a new highend ax.
    Most companys like Bassnorthwest and Basscentral in Florida also give you a trial period. the norm is three days I think.
    happy hunting and the lawn is looking good. you can hear it grow this time of year.... :)
    Keep the Funk ALive!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Gah, it's a fretless! So far I'm leaning towards the Lakland due to the 35" scale neck (B string friendly). I'm going to try out some Fenders as well since I can compensate for the 34" scale neck by stringing the B through the body. I like the look of the Roscoe Beck and I like the fact that it's passive and I wouldn't have to worry about batteries. I like the 4/1 headstocks too. Hmmmmm.
  8. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    lakland makes good stuff. every skyline I have seen has been put together really well. Have you thought of ordering a Carvin? Yea I know they dont have the sizzle as some others but I have had mine for a month now and love it :bassist:
    so that roscoe at bassnorthwest is frettless eh? I wonder if my credit card is in my wallet or mommas? :smug:
    Keep the funk alive!!!
  9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Hmmmm.............Carvin?! I do like what they offer but hate the headstocks. I can deal with the headstocks though. Gonna have to go peruse their website now! Gah! So many options, so little time!
  10. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    make sure you check out the option of the Traditional Headstock. I think the LB70 neck through five string is around $800.... they give you a 10 day money back to. Check the instock section that they have. with 5ers being so popular they should have a few in stock. happy hunting.... :bassist:
    Question of the day: Why do we drop d tune for metal and not for say THE FUNK!!!!!! ;)
  11. justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Don't forget about G&Ls. All are handmade in Fullerton CA. I think most of the current models have an active/passive switch. Look a the L2500 of the L1505. Both great axes.