Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

In The Market For a Wah

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Petary791, Mar 10, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I did a search, and I could not find anything.

I'm in the market for a wah. I know that Cliff Burton uses a Morley Power Wah Boost, but those are discontinued correct? I also saw that Tim Bob from RATM and Audioslave uses a Crybaby 105Q. Are these good? Also, I was looking at the Morley Dual Bass Wah. Is that one good? And last, the Crybaby 535Q Multi-Wah Pedal. I'm pretty sure it's for guitar however.

So which Wah would you reccomend? The ones I stated (which one), or a different one?

2. sricabla

sricabla

Jul 4, 2003
    San Francisco
    Check out the ZVex Wah Probe. They have a cool video to demo it

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The Morley and the Dunlop are probably the two most used and abused wahs out there. They're totally different monsters, but you need to consider a few things: tone, feel and features.

The Morley Dual Bass Wah has a switchless on/off switch, whereas toeing down the pedal activates the wah. The switch on the side changes the sound for more funk, some people like this and some don't.

There's an older Morley, the blue Pro Series II Bass wah that I liked better, they can be had cheaper, and I find the tone much more pure. Once again, switchless. And both Morleys are optical, therefore no pots to get scratchy, but obviously a digital effect.

Then there are the Dunlops. There's the 105Q, which is switchless, but it has a potentiometer. This one seperates the treble and the bass frequencies and only effects the upper frequencies. Like both Morley's, has a spring to return it to toe up.

There's a GCB-100, the basic Bass Crybaby which has a switch, the only of the four. I don't believe this one has the spring, so you can leave it in any position while playing. I could be wrong, haven't owned a Crybaby in quite some time.

That's a quick recap of the four main contenders IMO. The Dunlops tend to be polar opposite of the Morley's, you'll likely like one or the other, or neither. I tend to gravitate very much toward the Morley models, but YMMV.

Good luck in your wah search.

4. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I don't understand this part- the Tel-Ray PWB I have is photo-electric cell driven and I understand that the newer ones are ran by electro-optical circuitry but I don't understand how that makes it a digital effect?

Anyways- as I said above I use an older Morley PWB and love it. They aren't difficut to find and are built like tanks. They go between $50-$150 depending on condistion. The downside is repair expense, becasue they are discontinued.

As for Dunlop, if you decide you like those I would recommend the 105Q. Don't even bother with the GCB-100- the effect is negligable (it was the first pedal I tried). I tried a 105Q, and while it was not what I was looking for it was a marked improvement over the GCB-100. A lot of played like those.

There are some other model to consider, but these are mainly high end boutique stuff that will run you in the $250.00+ range. There was one review of though of the Weeping Demon that the player seemed to like also.

Ted

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I have a crybaby gcb 100. This is the one without teh spring as previously mentioned. It gets the Chili Peppers flea wah tone, the funky, bouncy type thing goin on. Im selling it though because i need the cash :)<) id let it go pretty cheap, its in perfect condition. PM me if interested, id let it go for $40-50.