Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

In the middle of CA proj...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ii7-V7, Dec 29, 2005.


  1. ii7-V7

    ii7-V7

    Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I just applied CA to my fretless board last night. I applied a pretty thick first coat and let it dry overnight. I applied the coat with a sponge. As it was drying I noticed that there were a few small spots where it looked like the glue was pulling away leaving a blank spot. I figured I would let it dry and see how it turned out.

    This morning when I looked at the CA job the board was dull with just a few spots that looked like they were still drying around the edge of the board. The whole board was matte in color, except for these areas which were a little bit shiny. I felt for the blank spots, but couldn't find them. I don't know if the glue eventually covered the area of if it dried so clear that I just can't see where it covered and didn't.

    OK. So, where do I go from here? Did I mess the board up? Do I have to start over?

    I figured that I would just sand the board and see how it turns out. If there are any low spot I would think that I could just fill them, right?

    Chad
     
  2. what kind of fingerboard? If it is rosewood, did you prep the board to pull the oil from the grain prior to CA application? If not, that could lead to adhesion problems,seeing the oils inherent in the wood would impede proper adhesion / capillary action locking to the grain, and could contribute to that dull appearance (contaminated CA). Not to mention that a thick coat isn't the best idea, imo.
     
  3. ii7-V7

    ii7-V7

    Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Yes, the board is rosewood. I sanded the board to lower some high spots, but did not put alcohol or acetone on the board to prep it. I thought that Superglue would stick to anything!

    So, where to go from here?
     
  4. ii7-V7

    ii7-V7

    Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Well,

    I sanded the first coat down. I realized that most of the glue was soaked up by the wood, but it did leave a thin film. I sanded it smooth. It looked horrible with all these white spots. So, I wet sanded it with steel wool. That helped a little. Then I put on the second coat about half as thick as the first. This coat turned out much better. I'm wating for the third coat to dry now. Its starting to look decent....No HG Thor...but not horrible either.

    Chad
     
  5. Best of luck with that! CA polishes out quite nicely, so you should get a nice end result. Sometimes the flaws that are inevitable become the "charm" and character of the piece.

    Mon