In The Pocket

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jbennardo, Jul 7, 2005.

1. I'm fairly new to the board and have been doing alot of reading. To slap or not to slap. Finger or pick... Forgive me if I'm not in the right category for this thread.

Last night at the gig I thought I would take some of the advice I found on this board. Instead of dropping fills and slaps and "trying to get noticed" I focused on keeping with the drummer and staying solid. In that zone I actually found MORE opportunity to improv and they sounded better when I did. I'm no hot dog, but I do tend to try a bit too hard. Songs that I sometimes slap, simply because it's flashy, I played fingerstyle. I had a much better show because I was focused and settled down.

Bottom line, it was a much more rewarding experience and I think I had somewhat of an epiphany. Thanks for everyone's discussions and tips. This is a great board - it's great to share and exchange ideas. I think I'm on my way to growing as a bass player.

2. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    way cool!
    can't speak for anyone else, but i've found that approach to tricks folks into thinking yer 'mature'... :p
  3. RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Sounds like folks are learning the less is best theory.

Build a good foundation in the pocket then add from there.
  4. ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    what also helps is not wanking between songs, it makes musicians in the audience believe you're good and professional, many a time i've heard comments like, oh look at that quiet fellow at the side there, not trying to show off, he's the talent.
  5. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Well done! Darth Vader voice on: Welcome to the groove side! Vader voice off:
  6. That's a first.

Thanks all, it's good to hear from ya. I stumbled onto this board looking for reviews on strings and it's provided much more! These forums are a great resource and provide me with something I never had as a younger player. We bass players are hard to find and surely not readily available to bounce ideas off of.

I was seduced by the "groove side". It betrayed and murdered flashy, inconsistent man. There's no substitute for shakin' wobbly bits on a dance floor. ;)
  7. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    The true blessing of a gigging bassist!