Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"In the Stone" Style Funkiness

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BBass, Jul 15, 2002.

1. BBass

BBass

Jan 1, 2002
    Sparta, Tennessee
    Can anyone recommend some songs that will help me get the kind of Groove from "In the Stone" from Earth Wind and Fire? You know, some finger funk classics, something with a strong line and some creative fills and patterns.

2. rob_d

rob_d

Jun 14, 2001
    Forgive me for possibly stating the obvious, but what about "In The Stone" by EWF?

3. BBass

BBass

Jan 1, 2002
    Sparta, Tennessee
    I mean, more songs in the same style, songs that will help me grow more comfortable with that style and will help me incorporate it into my band's music.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    anything off of EWF's Greatest Hits Vol I disc. That's groove school.

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Preach it, Pac. I still think Verdine White doesn't get the credit he deserves.

"In the Stone" is a desert island track for me. The rideout is heavenly, with the full stop every 3rd time around.

6. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Totally. My funk band plays this tune, and man is it fun. And that stop happens the 2nd time around the last time... which is so cool. :D

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The king of fills is Anthony Jackson. Check out "Naughty" or "What 'Cha Gonna Do For ME" by Chaka Khan.

Chuck Rainey isn't too shabby either.