1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

In this modern age how do you manage to sink a cruise ship?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stinsok, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    A hundred years after a famous unsinkable ship was lost we are still so arrogant to believe that we are in total control. Over our own mistakes as well as over nature.

2. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Cutting edge technology < Cutting edge stupidity.

I liked the newschick report I saw on that:
    "It's clear that it hit "something" and did not run aground."

Followed by a picture of the ship on it's side clearly run aground.

????

3. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    I don't understand how they can run so far off course with computerized maps of the shipping lanes, GPS, satellite tracking, etc...

Running aground in today's day in age just shouldn't happen.

4. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The original -- and inaccurate -- story was that it hit "a sandbar," and they shift.

The truth was that it hit a great pile of rocks that had been there since long before the charts were made and the GPS navigational programming was done.

I really want to hear the outcome of this investigation.

5. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
  6. BIG97BEN

BIG97BEN

Sep 12, 2011
    Richmond VA
    That's crazy stuff. Hate reading that when I have a cruise coming up in May.

7. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Alcohol & or drugs would be my guess if not extreme ineptitude.

8. Hi.

Have You worked with CCL/Costa staff?

Or have You any experience about the ships made at the Fincantieri shipyards?

Not that hard to believe if You have.

Regards
    Sam

9. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    This Fincantieri?

"Fincantieri, one of Europe's largest shipbuilders with a track record dating back 200 years and a history of building more than 7000 ships."

What insight do you have as to why one of their cruise ships would veer 2 1/2 miles off course?
    If I had to guess as to a cause of the grounding, I would say operator error.

10. matti777

matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    If I had to speculate (and I am) I would agree and say that they will find multiple human errors leading to this catastrophic end.

11. Hi.

Yep, that's the one.

Well, I used to work in Åker-yards, doing some finishing jobs the Spirit class cruise ships built over here in Finland.

I didn't visit the Fincantieri yards, but a lot of my co-workers did, and according to them, even the dockside work made them nervous with the hull flexing. One test-cruise was usually more than enough to make them refuse any additional ones.

The construction method over there was (still is?) obsolete in todays standards, and made the long ships prone to warping.

A lot can happen in 10 years I know, but if the same companys capitain's transfer voyage pretty much ends with a hefty fine after speeding in the English channel is any indication about their level of professionalism, well...

Regards
    Sam

12. Your comment is exactly WHY they still run aground....you get a captain who relies too much on the technology and doesn't pay attention to what's really going on. Or is just drunk.

I can appreciate that since I ran aground twice in my first season of boating with the whole electronics magilla on board...sonar, radar, GPS, sateliite weather.

13. Bingo!!

14. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Common misconception: the Titanic was never advertised as unsinkable. The origin of the claim post-dates the sinking.

Anyhow, one of my favorite sayings: He who claims to have a fool-proof plan underestimates the ingenuity of fools.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    One time I damaged the propeller of a speedboat in shallow water on Lake Mead. Cost me 65 bucks.

16. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Breaking news this morning is that a Korean newlywed couple have been found alive in a cabin. Must have been terrifying.

17. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Simple: inept piloting + flawed design = sunk ship.

Never underestimate the power of teh stoopid.

18. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA