in ur opinon is pick or fingers better for metal

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by T-BIRD bassist, Aug 24, 2004.

1. T-BIRD bassist

T-BIRD bassist

Jun 24, 2004
    i ussually play with fingers but ive notice that a lot of metal band especially the faster types of metal use picks i was wondering if any of u know any ideas for getting a good metal sound
  2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    where is "ur opinion"? It must be some place in Sweeden, they've got good metal there.

Depends on the style of metal. I like the tone of a pick cutting through in thrasher heavy metals. But if it's Doom/Stoner metal I like the nice laid back fingerstyle approach. But hey, switch it up. These are all tools in your toolbox. Don't limit yourself to one tool. You wouldn't hire a clown to fix a leak in the john.
  3. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Fingers all the way...

'nuff said
  4. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Cliff Burton and Steve Harris both used fingers... and both sounded great! Fingers all the way, but then again I can't use a pick when fast playing is required.

Learn both.
  5. Most of the bass in classic metal is smooth and holds the groove under the screaching guitars. In more modern metal, the bass is more raw and on the forefront. Now depending on the style of metal you are playing, you make the choice. Play the same song with both fingers and pick and see which one you like better. We can't tell you which is better because one isn't better than the other.

I've found if you grow out the nails on your picking hand, you can get a great variety of tones! You can get a crisp loud pick tone without the charachteristic "click".
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Id say if you use distortion, pick.

If you are mostly clean, fingers.
  7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Let the song decide.

For example, if the song was fast with a ton of string skipping I would probably use fingers for simplicity, but if the song was only on one or two strings then I would probably pull out the old .73.
  8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'd say an open mind is best for metal. Use what your brain tells you.
  9. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Yea, in modern metal I think there's less of an ego contest :D
    But fingers is more versatile. You can get a sharp staccato note for ultra fast 16th's (aka Battery -Metallica) or round smooth bass lines (aka World So Cold -Mudvayne)
    Fingers looks cooler too haha!
  10. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    there have been fantastic metal players who play with their fingers... and other fantastic ones who play with a pick

so the conclusion is.... (drum roll please) *BRRRRRRDDDUM*

it don't matter :) use whatever sounds best to you... hit the strings with a fork if you like the sound of it!
  11. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Or a drumstick...
    Don't ask :rolleyes:
  12. Vegeta

Jun 28, 2004
    Skopje, Macedonia
    If you have seen Deicide concert, the basist looks like he's playng with a pick but I think that he's playing with his thumb. It's very good for death metal songs because it sounds like slap bass.
  13. srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    IMHO fingers is better for everything.
  14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Not better for getting a pick tone. :p
  15. i was wondering how do you get that click sound when you play with your fingers without it sounding like crap? Any tricks or certain strings that there is behind that? Thanks...

To answer your question it really depends what style of metal you're playing and the tone you want. IMO Playing with your fingers sounds better for Death Metal. Some metal-core bands have a nice bright tone to their bass and it comes from using a pick. I'd probabbly suggest that you experiment with both styles and probably different strings to look for your ideal sound. When playing with my fingers I've experienced a good tone from using D'Addarios XL nickle plated roundwound strings.
  16. I do alright with the fingers..

Please dont slap.
  17. CrazyArcher

Aug 5, 2004
    That really depends on teh song... For extreme metal I"d use a pick rather than fingers, 'coz I like the bright and somewhat agressive sound a pick...
  18. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    please don't slap....

fingerstyle is better for everything...

blah blah blah blah blah..... not to single you two out, the whole thread is 90% lame.

Maybe the question was, "what do you like?"
  19. Yeah, how many iterations of "pick vs. fingers" can there be?
  20. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    At this point even 1 is too many.