Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

In what order? (rack chain question)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by andruca, Jan 3, 2005.

1. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Hi everybody! This is the first time I'm putting up a rack as my rig so here's the list of things it has and you tell me in which order should I put everything:

- Behringer PEQ2200 5-band parametric EQ
    - ETEK Dynamagic multiband compressor
    - SansAmp RBI

I also use a Hartke 3500 head (from now on only as a power amp). Thanks so much for your help!

ANDRUCA

2. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    As far as physically, prolly the heavier stuff on the bottom.

Wiring-wise, I'd do:

Bass Guitar to Sansamp to Hartke
    and put the EQ and Compressor in the effects loop.

3. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    One more question. In which effects loop (the one in the amp or the on in the SansAmp)? Thanks so much!

ANDRUCA

4. The RBI's FX loop...if you're using the Hartke as just a power amp, then you're bypassing all the Preamp guts, which should mean that the FX loop is bypassed as well. However, putting the effects in the RBI's loop means you have master volume control over everything, which is good.

5. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    OK, I still have the Hartke's loop available as I'm running in the input but set everything flat. I'll try entering the amp in the effects return so I really use only the power amp section. Thanks so much!

ANDRUCA

6. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I think what you should be looking to do is

Bass to RBI

EQ and compressor in RBI's effects loop

RBI to Hartke's Amp in or Effects Return.

Going straight into the bass amp's effects return from the bass won't accomplish much...maybe not what you meant, but how it could have been read ;)

7. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Maybe I didn't express correctly but I meant exactly what you say. Thanx!

ANDRUCA

8. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    NP!

9. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    OK, now, regarding EQ and compressor, which one goes first? Thanks again!

ANDRUCA

10. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    EQ if possible...then compressor, and everything else after that (...yeh yeh...I've been converted, I used to put the compressor after everything!)

11. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    1. I like the compressor first as it refines those nasty dynamic extremes out of the signal.

2. Then the EQ as I make tonal adjustments depending on the ENVIRONMENT: the venue and what cabs I'm using (One or two 2x12's or a 4x10 and/or a 1x15)

3. The SansAmp to make tonal adjustments depending on the EFFECT (I.e scopped mids, boosted bass) and/or other EFFECTS (clean/distorted, ect)

12. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    EQ and compressors can be tricky. *Usually* I'll compress before EQing, as I just want to shape the timbre with EQ after getting a handle on the dynamics.

But there are times when it's useful to EQ first, so you can control how the compressor responds. If you boost the frequencies where your attack is, then the compressor will clamp down more on the attacks. Lots of options.

But for a "set and forget" kinda thing, suitable for live use, I'd say compressor > EQ.

13. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    i have a very similar setup, cept I have RBI, compressor, eq and a sonic maximizer there...

the comp, EQ and maximizer all go through the RBI's effects loop... first in the loop is the compressor, then the EQ, then the sonic maximizer...

seems to work fine.. it's pretty standard signal processing procedure to put compression before EQ... but obviously not the only way to get results :)

14. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada