Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

In what ways does excessive drinking affect your health?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jiles, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    I may shudder to think what you guys are going to say, but if you drink a 12 pack of beer a day, what are the possible consequences to your health?

Now....this is given that before I drink my daily 12 pack (or more) I.....

a) ride my mountain bike about 10 miles/ and or jog about 5 miles per day
    b) swim laps in my pool
    c) eat a healthy dinner

I don't smoke BTW. Am I at risk, or do I even myself out? And also, I drink plenty of water every day.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    All the nice side effects of alcoholism.

Or ask Rocco Prestia how it feels when your liver says bye-bye...

3. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've also noticed that alcohol seems to dry out your skin. Look at an alchoholic, they always look 20 years older than what they are.

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Yup, alcohol does damage both to your liver and your brain. You kill braincells with each beer/wine glass.

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    A drink everyonce in a while will supposedly clear out your liver, but the way you are drinkin, you are not gonna have a liver when you get older.

6. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    OMFG@a 12 pack a day...

Personally I think yes, you are at risk. Are you an alcoholic? That really is a hell of a lot of alcohol. A lot to put your liver through. All your exercise and healthy eating will help with some of the effects of the alcohol, I would think - but I can't see it protecting your liver. If you carry on like that, I would think you can risk serious liver damage. If you carry on long enough, it'll kill you.

Actually it is my view that alcohol is a poison to the body, and that your body is better off without it.

And that's just physical... drinking a 12 pack a day... what is that doing to you mentally?

Sorry, but that sounds like a drinking problem to me.

7. It makes it hurt when I pee the next morning... but other than that, I think I've successfully gained the liver of a fifty-yearold russian. :rolleyes:

8. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    Well....what can I say....I love physical fitness and sports just as much as I love booze. Oh yeah, and I somehow fit playing in a band in between...lol.

Well, thanks for the input anyhow. Somehow I can't see myself ever stop dedicating my life to physical fitness....or drinking...lol.

9. LMAO

:rolleyes:

10. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Word!

11. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    Maybe I should combine the 2 and become a hare hasher.

12. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Well, I think the worst side effect would be your social health, not too many people want to hang out with someone who is always drunk, that is just IMO.....no offense.

Xavier, whats up with the avatar? Pulling a back to the future?????? :D

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I had an uncle who I was quite close to. He drank, not as much as that, and his liver exploded. And he bled to death, internally. It infuriates me to hear this, as I am sure you have a drivers license. I pray to God that you do not have kids. I cannot imagine what that would do to them. This just sickens me.

14. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Word.

In your path of self distruction I hope you hurt no one other than yourself.

15. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
  16. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Deserves being said again.

17. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Or maybe you should give up one, and be healthy, and not die young.

18. My grandfather was an alcoholic. He beat his wife, was one of the biggest a**holes I've ever met, looked like death, had liver, bladder and kidney problems and died in pain from mouth and throat cancer. He also took very poor care of his family. All of those things were a direct cause of his drinking.

12 beers a day... asking for trouble.

I'd say, stick with the running and biking and enjoy a drink now and then.

19. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    As well as the internal effects of continued exposure to high levels of alcohol, there's also the wide range of damage you might inflict on yourself while under the influence. If you're a 'get very sleepy and nod off on the couch' kind of person then you're probably safe unless you smother yourself on the cushions, but if you like to get a few tins inside you and then go out and do 'brave things' (or even just try to walk in a straight line) you are facing a lot of potential hazards from tripping and walking into things.

Wulf

20. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Try not to drink alcohol for a week, if that bothers you during that week, you're addicted.