in which direction to cab...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matt_dutyfree, Dec 27, 2004.

1. right so i've got a few directions that I could go with adding another cab...

Right now I'm playing a Jazz bass though a Trace AH300 and an Ashdown 1*15. I love the sound of the trace head and really dig it through my 1*15 cab, it's a reasonable size for taking to practice and pleanty loud (max of 2.5 on the master :cool: ) but I want another cab for gigging and for when my guitarists start stepping it up a little! (they are both using 2*12 combos right now)

I really like the idea of the trace 1504 (the 2*15 one) but finding a good one is tough, i hear they sound awesome! I'd keep me ashdown cab for luggin to practice and I'd be set!

Or I could add another ashdown... in which case do I go with another MAG cab, either 2*10 or 4*10? Or I could go with their new 4*8 a few people really love them. Is it worth the extra money to upgrade to the abm cabs(a 1*15 and 4*10...)?

Or would you scrap those ideas and save up for a fancy boutique cab?? I like the idea of the trace 2*15 but unsure if it's sensible and I know i'm gonna struggle to find one... also I'm not sure if the 4*8 ashdown will really add anything?!? do I really need the high end? any help will be much apreciated!!!
  2. I'd be inclined to go for a 4x10. I'll hopfully add one to my mag combo's 1x15, this year.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    if you liek the sound off the ashdown 15you are using now then i would suggest that you look at adding another one of their cabs. I have zero experience with their line so i can't comment on the various cabinets you mentioned. The best way to approach this is to bring your bass, head, and existing cabinet to an ashdown dealer and try as many cabinets as you can with your existing rig. See what sounds the best to you when paired up with your 15.
  4. sincity

Oct 16, 2002
  5. That actually as silly as it sounds I hadn't considered doing! :bag:

I'm just wondering if i'm missing out not using a 1524!