1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

in which fret do u mute a note...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BillyBeginner, Nov 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BillyBeginner

BillyBeginner

Nov 30, 2017
    ... when theres only an x on the tablature? cus if u mute slightly pressing on the 20th fret, it will make a different sound then when u mute on the 2nd fret?

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I'm moving this to Technique since there are multiple ways of muting a string. Typically when I play a muted or ghost note, I just keep on the note I'm on, or a transition note. I'm not flying up 10 frets on the fretboard. There is no specific fret you're supposed to mute.

But here are a couple good videos about muting

Steve-Mo and RickyT like this.
  3. I think you are referring to a ghost note.

gebass6 likes this.
  4. BillyBeginner

BillyBeginner

Nov 30, 2017
    ok guys just watched the videos, thank you to both, now i know that x on the tab is not a particular fret, it help me relief my cousnciencess that im not doing anything wrong when seeing the tab. supossing that the question u guys understood was: in which fret do u play an 'x' on the tabs, for which then the answer would be be: there not an specific fret to mute an 'x' , be it with right or left hand muting, so u can mute with ur right hand while pressing 0 or 3, and the sound will be kinda the same. sorry if i look a little bit cray cray or something, im just a sad paranoid dude:(

5. swooch

swooch

Jun 30, 2005
    Sweden
    The sound will kind of be the same, but as you point out 2 fret and 20th fret will sound different. In sheet music mutes, or dead notes, can be shown with pitch, but in tab you'll just have to make an assumption (or listen to the original recording).

6. There are no bad questions..... Dirt simple answer to your question - once you deaden the string it's dead - really does not matter where that happens. Right hand with a palm mute at the bridge or left hand where you are fretting - once muted the string is dead - until you lift what ever you muted with...

Been a long time since I've used tab, but, I seem to remember X meaning you don't sound that string. I do not remember it being an indication of muting a specific note. Meaning it's not necessary you mute it just do not sound it. But if you do mute it that whole string is dead - until you lift what ever you used to mute it with. Would have to see the tab to fully understand if what I'm telling you is helping...

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  7. BillyBeginner

BillyBeginner

Nov 30, 2017
    ok, think i get it now,what the others asnwers told before my coment remaking the question in a more clear way is confirmated by the next two anwers two my comments, thank u all guys, for ur politness and patient with my problem, things are much more clear now

8. I don’t know why, but this made me laugh.

9. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2016
    This seems to be an old thread, but for future searches, I'll add a point.

I mute the string at 2 points or more. Example the 2nd and 5th fingers together. Reason being if you attempt to mute with a single finger on the fret hand, you could potentially cause the string to hit an overtone instead of muting.

Position doesn't really matter after that. Just wherever you are on the fretboard. And use 2 fingers.

dragon68 likes this.
  10. Good tip. It kind of kills the effect of a ghost note when you have unexpected harmonics popping up.

Basstards likes this.
  11. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    It depends on what the song calls for and where my hands are at, and where my fretting hand needs to be next. I mute in various ways with left hand and right hand techniques. The best way is to improvise and use what works best with the tools you have. There is no one right way to do it.