1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

in which our hero considers reenacting the "Jeremy" video

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Apr 5, 2006.

1. ...because, in class tomorrow, he has to present a summary of an article that contains sentences like the following:

I really, really hate postmodern philosophy. HATE IT.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Hehe...sounds like that Damon Wayans character he played on In Living Color. The skit where he is the dude in prison.

-Mike

3. You're more right than you might be aware. In the next paragraph, the author uses the word "facticity." Facticity? That sounds like "rhythmicity," which is used by "signifyin'" black pseudo-intellectuals like Stanley Crouch--or, for that matter, by the likes of Walt "Clyde" Frazier.

Perhaps I shall emulate Madonna: "Today is the last day that I'm using words; they've gone out and lost their meaning."

4. It gets better:

:confused:

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

That may be the smuggest thing I've ever read.

6. What I said, or what this pomo clown wrote?

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

What the pomo clown wrote. Sorry..I didn't make that clear.

8. I was gonna say...I could never possibly approximate the smugness of your average postmodernist philosopher. I don't think even Munji could get anywhere close to that.

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Take the opportunity to utilize sesquipedalianism and circumambagious language in order to bewilder your audience with strata of obfuscation.

10. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Peter, I believe we've had (vaguely) similar conversations online about this before. I'm with you - it's meaningless drivel, constructed to make the authors sound intelligent when it fact they have absolutely nothing of worth to say.

I would guess you're familiar with Alan Sokal and Jean Bricmont's book "Intellectual Impostures" and Sokal's scam paper accepted for publication by the journal "Social Text". But have you seen the Postmodernism Generator?

http://www.elsewhere.org/pomo

This will generate a new essay for you every time you visit the link or refresh the page. Could be useful next time you're stuck doing an all nighter! :D

11. Oh yes, I've made extensive use of the Postmodernism Generator. It's wonderful stuff.

I sympathize with the desires behind postmodernist philosophy; we all want to know how the world impacts us. The problem they've encountered is that the terminology that has been invented to enable greater precision of language has instead muddied the waters so badly that nobody really knows what the hell anyone's talking about.

Perhaps philosophers should just go back to using Greek. It's a much more powerful language, in terms of its ability to describe relations between objects and ideas, than Latin or any of the languages derived from it (including English, that bastard tongue). The original Latin meaning of "sincere" refers to the purity of beeswax!

12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Duh. C'mon Peter, you've got to learn to help yourself here. You can't expect all of us to always do your homework for you, even though this stuff is easy as A-B-C, 1-2-3 for the rest of us. You're never going to learn anything that way. :D

13. Are you somehow implying that I have insufficiently concretized the underlying facticity of the trialectical relationship between habitus, habitation, and idiolocality, Adron? :smug: :rolleyes:

14. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    That's easy for you to say.

15. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    By the way, one of my colleagues actually used the word "performativity" in the title of a lecture last year. How we laughed.

16. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    TRULY intelligent people can get their messages across using everyday language so they don't dilute their message; they don't need the big words and use them only when necessary. Although expanding your vocabulary is never a bad thing.

17. I recommend a new constitutional amendment allowing actual people to shoot postmodern philosophers (to maim, and cause maximum pain as retribution for the pain they cause the actual productive members of society, such as musicians! ;) ). How these @$$clowns get "gigs" is beyond me. :spit:

Pete, I'm really sorry you have to deal with that, I would have taken a different elective, or found an alternative class if it's a "required" course....

Oh, and I disagree that there is any actual attempt to do anything positive (i.e. "the terminology that has been invented to enable greater precision of language"). They're just trying to continue to be in school and get paid for it (professional student), so they either make up garbage language to confuse the rest of the world, or are truly that annoyingly obnoxious and think they're accomplishing something. It is the second ones that both disgust and frighten me the most....

18. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    sounds like jibba jabba to me.

BTW, whats a "dyad"?

19. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Bingo. I doubt whoever wrote that garbage ever made it out of school.

Try to work in, "unintelligible, masturbatory piffle" into your presentation somewhere. :meh:

20. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    not sure. i interpreted it as "dryad," which is a wood nymph.

anyway, communication i think can be modeled by, say, a game of catch.

you can lob the ball to your partner. you can throw the ball firmly to your partner, maybe challenge him a little.

or you can be a total **** and throw the ball way over his head and snicker, reveling in just how "good" of a thrower you are. :scowl: