1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

In with the new (bass) out with the old (bass)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dewi, Apr 8, 2009.

1. dewi

dewi

Nov 10, 2008
    Ok so I just pulled the trigger on a SB-2 with the old headstock. Always wanted one, now I own one.

I was trying not to spend anymore money on the studio, but whats one more "tool". I have a Marcus Miller, that I love, but at the same time I had a SWEET Sterling. So what the hell, i will yank the frets on the marcus miller. DUMB me, i can still play it, but i cannot close my eyes and get into the music. I stare at the frets. So I find a sweet '78 Musicmaster at the flea market, 250 bucks! That sounded great on recordings, then it just lost favor quickly. Plus its a bit noisy, single coil hum and whatnot. I have a wishbass #989, sweet sweet bass. Forget about it, no lines and my intonation sucks. Then I buy a cheapo P-Bass, sounds good recorded (kinda) but the action is way to high. So I am now leaving the p-bass with a buddy, thinking about either A) Selling the marcus or B) playing with refretting it and keeping the wishbass as is (cause its cool) and leaving the musicmaster original (cause its cool)

Lemme tell you though, i played a Sadowsky Metro and that thing was SWEET but way to expensive.

Moral of the story, dont rip out the frets on a Marcus Miller. I just wanted to get that off my back. SB-2 BABY!

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Umm.. What?

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    :: sigh ::

4. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    That was hella random and confusing. I can see many reasons why never to remove frets from a marcus , i dont like there bodies but those necks are sweet why? sigh could have gave it to me :(

5. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Ice is bad.

6. Thingus995

Thingus995

May 30, 2008
    everything in moderation!!

7. Senator

Senator

Nov 11, 2008
    Pics or it didn't happen!!!

8. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    I would buy another Marcus.

I am curious as to why you pulled the frets in the first place though...