Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

in your opinion, the most overrated band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TreeChild, Feb 5, 2006.

1. TreeChild

TreeChild

Feb 28, 2005
    Wimberley, TX
    The Rolling Stones

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Chuck Norris and carrots.

3. Super Bowl XL halftime spectacular featuring the Rolling Stones. Sponsored in part by Ensure and Depends.

:D

4. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Just watched that halftime show. Mick needs to retire. That was just sad.

5. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    My 11 year old..."Is that a girl?"

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Green Day, followed by Tool.

7. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Amen.

8. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

Nirvana.

9. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Metallica, and KoRn.

10. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    The Strolling Bones. Never liked 'em. Lynrd Skynrd, or however you spell 'em, as well. I think the Doors are pretty good, but Jim Morrison is heavily over rated IMO, as well as Janis. I think a lot of the music of the '60s and '70s tends to get romanticezed to death by people who came of age hearing those tunes on the radio.

11. I resent half of that.
    I say half cause I like Tool, but to each his own.

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    So, I'm guessing... 14 years old? Go on, make my day - how far off am I?

13. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Wrong. But an easy target as they are on the short list of all time greatest rock and roll bands.

On what do you base your argument? Songs - they got them. Record sales - they got them. Tour revenue - they got them. Fans - they got them.

14. The Beatles. I just don't get it honestly.

:p Blink 182.

15. dangnewt

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    I'm not familiar with Tool's music; however, Green Day is the real deal. I think of them as a worthy successor to my favorite band, The Clash. They have a charismatic front man, great songs and great beats. The whole grunge scene had devolved into what sounded to me like a lot of whining when Green Day hit the scene. Green Day played honest rock and roll straight from the heart and were able tell a good story in 3 or 4 minutes - what else do you want?

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yessir, I do believe you've got it.

On another note, would you guys throw in the towel if you, at 64, could go out and generate hundreds of millions of dollars on a rock tour?

17. dangnewt

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    This is a tough one. Sometimes a tragedy seems to add to the legend of a band. However, you can't deny the impact Nirvana had on music in the early 90's and really how fresh a lot of their songs sound today. I can only listen to so much Nirvana at a time - perhaps because Cobain could project all the strong emotions that he had swirling in this mind into the music.

18. Elvis, The Beatles, The Stones, The Ramones, Sex Pistols, The Clash, Nirvana, Green Day, RUSH, KISS, Fall Out Boy/Hawthorne Heights/Panic! At The Disco, Atreyu/Killswitch Engage, Slipknot, Korn (from time to time) Mudvayne (again, from time to time.), H.I.M...

Really, I just don't like Elvis or The Beatles, but everytime someone brings it up, they tell me "Well, you'll never be a REAL musician until you learn to appreciate them," Okay, well, I appreciate their music, I just don't like it. Samething with the Ramones, Pistols, Clash, and a bunch of others.

Don't get me wrong, I love love love Mudvayne, H.I.M, and Korn, but coming from the mouth of the psycho lunatic fan-base they have, they make it seem that the band is holy, and that any boud mouthing is grounds for blasphemy.

As for Slipknot... Yuck. Ditch the MC and Two idiots who bounce around on beer kegs (although the fact that Chris made them himself is kind of cool.) and they might sound decent. I won't lie, I quite enjoy the song "Before I Forget" from their "Volume 3: The Subliminal Verses" album. Pretty talented band when you strip away the meaningless lyrics and annoyong added percusion.

-ryan-

19. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Are on an indie... so presumably they can't be that over-rated? :meh:

20. I disagree with Nirvana. Sorry to say but they are my favorite band. I don't know what I like about them but I couldn't live without them.

As for overated? I think we all know that Green Day is the definition of overated. Billy Joe can barely play guitar and is a average singer at best. The bassist and the drummer add little musically IMO. I liked them a little before they got huge but now every 12 year old girl hails them and that is why they are overated.

^ All of this is my opinion you don't need to tell me its wrong.