Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

In your opinion what are the best hybrid strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Libersolis, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Libersolis

Libersolis

Sep 9, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Currently I have D and G sensicores and E and A gut Olive Pirastro. I know some people love the Pirastro's, and I do love how they feel, but I like a more focused brighter sound and honestly the Pirastro's just don't stay in tune on MY bass. Should I go with a different gut set or stick with some hybrids.. If so what are the softest hybrids around. I will not use steels, they started to rip the skin off of my fingers after a while..

2. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    IMO, both Kolstein Heritage and Corelli 370's are soft/natural feeling and easy to bow. I had the 370 Fortes and they were a little too nasal for me, but it seems lots of other people like the 370TXs. Despite the metal wrap, both strings feel kinda silky on the outside - especially the Heritages. I prefer the Heritages over the 370 Forte's.

I use Anima's now but arco is much harder with these strings.

3. jazzbassnerd

jazzbassnerd

Aug 26, 2002
    I have tried 3 "hybrid" strings: Obligatos, Helicore Hybrids, and Heritage.
    Of all of them I like the Heritage the best.

I would have to say that I found the Obligatos more consistant in tone on my bass, though. The Heritages seem to have some bad days every once in a while (this may be because it is my bass's first time through an East Coast winter). I didn't like the Helicore's at all.

All in all, the Heritage's are my string of choice now (with a Spiro orchestra E, but I do that on almost any set of strings I have).

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    You gotta build up them chops :)

5. Reuben

Reuben

Aug 8, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    I think Dominants are brighter, more focused, and louder than Obligatos or Sensicores. I haven't tried the Heritage strings. Dominants are fairly low tension too, though perhaps a bit stiff.

6. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

I'm thinking of switching from Obligatos to Dominants next time around. Many here have raved about the Dominants but this "stiff" thing keeps coming up now and again (damn, that sounds risque! :eyebrow: ). Would some more of you Dominant users chime in on this--especially those who have used Oblis and Doms?

7. Reuben

Reuben

Aug 8, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    What's on the G & D, Jason?

8. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004

...and why don't you like the Doms up there, Jason?

9. Reuben

Reuben

Aug 8, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey Jason, thanks! That photo was taken by my wife, at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden.

I'm not surprised you find the Doms a better match for the guts than the Spiros. I tried so hard to be a gut guy. I found that for about 60% of what I do the gut thing was amazing and cool, but the other 40% is impossible on gut. If I had a second bass I could leave set up with gut all the time I would do it in a heartbeat. Meanwhile, I'm pretty much Spiros 24/7, although I have used Doms and recorded with them to great result.

Hope you had fun at APAP. What a weird scene...

10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Moi?

11. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have used both Obli's and Dominants and there is no comparison - Dom's win by a long way. However, they are higher tension. Although they feel different, the tension of orch. Dominants can be compared to orch. Spiros, while Oblis are more like Spiro weich tension (albeit thicker).

I've been very happy with the Dominant sound on my bass, but the G (which has been on and off the bass a number of times without breakage btw) has developed a kink in the metal cover that is marking my newly shaped fingerboard. I've orderd Dominant solos to try on D & G this time, mostly because I'm working through Michael Moore's thumb position book, and my left thumb is starting to look like hamburger, so I hope to keep the sound while giving my left hand an easier time.

I tried a Kolstein bass with Heritages on it at World of Strings in Long Beach recently, and thought they felt and sounded good on that bass - fat (sound and diameter) and low tension. I'm not sure I'd buy them for my bass though.

Great picture...it took me a while to figure out that it was a reflection flipped upside down. It's ok - no one saw me trying to do headstands in front of the computer. :p

12. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    My 2 cents:

It's a preference thing.

More modern, well sustaining steel string pizz tone but a very bowable string with a bright powerful tone --> Pirastro Flat Chromesteel

Darker, woodier, shorter decaying pizz tone but still VERY usable with a more classical arco sound --> Dominants

I have played both. I was very happy with both. I had Two sets of Doms on my Engelbert Humperdink.

I have had my FCS on the Shen for quite a while now. The bow better than they ever have.

FWIW, the FCS will last at least twice as long as the Doms.

13. rob f johnson

rob f johnson

Nov 15, 2005
    nelson bc
    I agree that the heritage strings have weaker days some days they sound huge some days on the thin side. but for the most part i like em! Ive been experimenting with string height when I went high the strings got a little stiff. last night i lowered my action a little the strings seem to feel better? also i evened the bridge feet height somewhat this seemed to help alot in tone and feel. just some observations.

14. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification

If you like the feel of Olives, but want more defination...you might try Pirastro Eudoxas (on the D and G). I've always been happy with Spirocore E and A for anything.

While, I like the feel, sound of Eudoxa...they do have some duribality issues (like Olives!) and they're expensive.

I'm now using Dominants on top, which although definately not perfect...seem to be closer to what I am looking for. They have a similar feel to spirocore, but they bow better and have a darker/warmer tone. The defination for jazz playing is definately good.

15. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    +1. I didn't realize what was going on til after I got rid of them. Yeah... those Heritages get REALLY inconsistent when the weather changes. I think any time the humidity goes up (like when it rains) the strings get really muddy. Once things dry up it sounds fine. I think I got fed up with them on a wet day and went with the Animas instead, which are much more consistent. I still like the Heritages tho, they were so much easier to bow.

16. brianh

brianh

Aug 19, 2005
    NYC
    Endorsing: Epifani Amplification

While I like the heritages tone and feel, Kolstein has some pretty bad quality control problems. Ive been through several G strings, and each one developed a kink towards the middle of the string...causing dead spots. I just gave up.