Inane Musician Stories

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by armywalaby, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Lets Share!

I've got a couple here, and they are related to youtube videos. Both are about the same person, a gui****. He can play any Metallica you know, but he's just devoid of any creativity. I told him once (years ago in high school) when we were sitting in English class that I was thinking about learning banjo, and he said something along the lines of "dude why not just get really good at one instrument?' He could never understand why I didn't just follow his root notes either when we formed a metal band....anyway...

#1 -

This is verbatim from an AIM convo. My theory words might not be exact, because I'm still studying it. Anyway...

HIM (3:59:34 PM): yea...anyone can do that tho...lol, oh im just gonna tune my guitar different and play that way as a signature....just be normal man...
    ME (3:59:41 PM): no
    ME (3:59:56 PM): im saying the chords that he gets out of it are pretty cool
    ME (4:00:06 PM): different arrangements and approaches
    HIM (4:00:28 PM): right..
    ME (4:00:33 PM): i like it
    ME (4:02:21 PM): just try it on one of yours
    ME (4:02:25 PM): you might be suprised
    HIM (4:03:08 PM): idk man the odd note he hits sounds like **** to me idk...lol...
    ME (4:03:21 PM): odd note?
    HIM (4:04:34 PM): like 1:25 to 1:37 or so...
    ME (4:05:34 PM): its a modulation
    ME (4:05:52 PM): he's taking one chord and superimposing another chord on it
    ME (4:05:56 PM): its a jazz thing
    HIM (4:05:57 PM): its a piece of ****!
    HIM (4:05:58 PM): lol
    ME (4:06:36 PM): heh...

So, lets share. Your turn.

2. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    I jammed with a drummer one time who claimed that he needed to be counted in... said "it helped to keep him on track".

He was a really, really nice guy, so we all just kind of laughed about it.

3. WH0EVER

WH0EVER

Aug 17, 2008
    CT
    what is going on with those tuners in the first clip?

4. Watch the video before it titled "explaining the hyperbass"

5. WH0EVER

WH0EVER

Aug 17, 2008
    CT
    just watched it. thats pretty cool and he makes excellent use of it

6. I would hope so, it was made for him...

7. I suppose if I changed musician to guitarist in the title, everyone would be all about this thread, eh?

8. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Maybe. But I wonder with all the complaining about guitarists that goes on around here why people would choose to spend time around musicians they consider substandard.

I play regularly with three guitarists, two of whom are very good and one who is the most gifted musician I know. Personally I think it's a waste of time to be around musicians that either lack talent and creativity or who you can't connect with on a musical level.

Oh, and you are misusing the term modulation.

9. I believed that I stated I didn't know much about theory so I probably said something wrong?

Well, we love that you play with people who play so well and are gifted. Thank you for telling us that, because we wouldn't be able to go on without knowing it. Y'know, sometimes people don't have the benefit of living in a large area where there are all sorts of people to jam with. Maybe some people have to settle for the musicians they know because they are the best around. Did that ever occur to you?

I don't appreciate your tone and your holier-than-thou sneer, sir.

10. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Overreact much?

I didn't point out that I play with great guitar players to brag. I pointed it out because this forum seems to love bashing guitar players. And yet some of the same people that constantly use the term "gui****" are the same ones that I see posting complaints that other musicians don't respect bassplayers. I was simply pointing out that I respect the guys I play with. And for that matter, they respect me.

And I've played with plenty of guitar players who weren't great. If it's fun then it's fun. And if not I move on. But I don't stick around with guys I don't vibe with and then complain about them.

Holier than thou? Really?

I'm not the one that insulted a guy I play music with by calling him "********" and making fun of him on a message board. And I only pointed out that you were misunderstanding theory because you were trying to use his lack of understanding of music to point out his flaws which was a bit ironic.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021