Include manual when selling an item

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BawanaRik, May 16, 2012.

1. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Including the manual will prevent the need to download and printout another copy. This will save resources. Every little bit counts.

After being hit with an unusually strong case of being hungry the Frites stand in Amsterdam allow one napkin per customer. Imagine how much the US could save with a simple policy like that.

2. I always include all documentation with items I sell, unless I do not have it. No reason to hold onto manuals from things I won't own any longer. Do people still print manuals, though? I download manuals and view them on my laptop or phone.

One napkin is fine for me, depending on what is being eaten. I'm always very clean when I eat, so there's little need to waste napkins.

3. Manuals? Pshaw.

And I hate when people give me napkins, I never use em'.

4. My parents always demanded extra napkins whenever we went out to eat, when I was a kid. I never figured out why. They didn't even use them half the time, they just liked having half-inch stacks at the table. :eyebrow:

5. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    You may have made note of something I've noticed. The propensity of some people to burn resources just because they can.

I keep my house in the mid sixties in the winter. It used to be lower but I'm getting near sixty and can't take it like I once could. People with free heat, I noticed, will crank to heat and open the window.

I want electricty for my bass. I'm willing to conserve to hopefully provide this for not only me but furture generations of bass player.

To put this in a light that I think we can all understand. In Germany they have open speed limits, all though less than they once did. And consume half the gas percapita that we do,

But when the light changes you best be going and not waste the gas in your tank or the other behind you as you scratch you ass looking at the green light.

6. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I am a napkin whoreder (hey! I just made a new word!) so I cannot do just one napkin.

But yeah, I keep all my manuals (when the item actually comes with one!) in my files...and always include them when I sell. Manuals, screen slicks, and often the original boxes if they aren't too unruly.

7. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Let's drill down to another level...

With (guess what?) Internet research available, many sellers don't even bother to find, or copy the specs for a bass that they're selling with something as basic as what wood comprises most of the body of the instrument. If they're not going to take the time to do that, they are likely not going to take a few minutes to dig in the closet for a manual that may have been thrown out with last year's trash. ;)

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I certainly agree with that first comment. No one alone can make a big difference, but if we all do a little, it adds up. If we all used one less plastic water bottle, or walked a flight of stairs instead of an elevator, recycled one item per day....it's actually very easy.

Give away one napkin and make people pay for extras.

-Mike

9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I try to include everything with a sale.

I keep an accordion file of manuals and documentation for each of the following categories of stuff:

Electronics-General
    Radio & TV Stuff
    Musical Gear
    Home
    Manuals-general
    Firearms
    Photo Equipment

Each separate accordion file has the owner's manual for every device in that category, normally with the purchase receipt stapled inside the manual. As an example - if I install a ceiling fan in the home, I can go to that accordion file and pull out the installation/owner's manual five years later.

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    The question I have is...what comes with a manual anymore?

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Simple - I buy the device, then if I don't get a manual with it, I go online and either download or (sometimes) download and print the manual. Then I file it so I can access it conveniently.

As time goes by, I print fewer of them - but it's only in the past 2-3 years that most manufacturers put manuals online. There are still surprising omissions.

Boss puts a nice little manual in with each pedal - and they fit nicely into my pedal bag. I can always get at them if I need to make adjustments and have forgotten something about that specific pedal.

12. Anything I've sold, I've always included the things I got when I bought it new. With basses, the allen keys/tool you get and with amps or electronics all of the manuals and accessories. I think it's simply not fair otherwise, because you're asking someone to find or buy something that originally came with the product.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021