Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Incognito" tone

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Ozbass, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Ozbass

Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    Hi All

So, I love the bass tone on a couple of Incognito albums I've got (Randy Taylor??) I'm sure I've seen footage of him playing a Jazz bass style instrument.

I really dig the cool smooth authoratitive tones he gets when laying down those superb grooves.

I just got myself a Sadowsky NYC V4.........I was wondering if you guys have any pointers in achieving such a tone with my bass....ie Tone controls/VTC/Active/passive/pickup pan/Strings etc etc

I appreciate, alot of it is in the fingers, but if anyone has any tips on that smooth funky tone, that would be great.

I'm playing thru an Epifani UL502/UL310 rig

Cheers
    Oz

2. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    sorry. not of any help but i was just wondering...
    randy taylor played bass for them? wasnt it julian crampton?

3. Ozbass

Ozbass

Apr 11, 2005
    Mmmm........I could be wrong, but I'm sure I read somewhere it is/was Randy Hope-Taylor.

Whoever it is, I love his tone / playing! ;)

Cheers
    Oz

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    both have played with them. Randy is credited on all the Verve and Talkin' Loud releases I own.

5. It'll be a Fender Jazz whoever plays it - well that's what Julian C uses - he's just superb at the flowing funk stuff - saw him at a clinic last year - top bloke - and he can double-thumb too!

M

6. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I believe the bass and drums were programmed by a total genius named Richard Bull on their early stuff (ie. Tribes Vibes and Scribes). That guy seriously deserves a Grammy for programming grooves. ;)

I could be wrong but Taylor was playing some of the solos but not much else (on that album anyway)

As far as tone, maybe try panning slightly towards the bridge pu and cut the treble on your bass until you get that fat "pillowy" Jaco sound. (Sorry Jaco) *gestures the cross*

7. vic_6

vic_6

Dec 19, 2004
    Manila, Philippines
    oh, so are they the only two bassits of incognito? or were there others?

he can double thump? cool... :)

but yeah, if it's julian c that you're talkin about i can get pretty close with my hamer cruise, so i'd assume you'll have an easier time getting it with your sadowsky.

+1 on what ostinato said. rolling off the tone while leaning slightly towrd the bridge.

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Yep, definitely a Jazz bass slightly favoring the bridge PU. yet, it's much fatter than Jaco's tone. So, I'd guess that you'd be boosting more bass on the amp, or both the amp and bass if you have an active bass.

:hyper: :scowl: :rollno: :eyebrow: :hyper: