INCOMING!!!! Lakland Joe Osborn on its way

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sb69coupe, Feb 7, 2006.

1. sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Man, I am so psyched. I just finalized the purchase of a Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn from ( TalkBass' very own Jive1 ). Some of you may remember my thread where I did an A/B comparison between a Darryl Jones and a Joe Osborn. I expected to strongly prefer the DJ, but came away loving both for their different strengths. I have an order in for a Lake Placid Blue DJ4, but there is no current estimated delivery date, and I was getting antsy.

So Jive1, in his oh so compassionate way, offered me a deal I couldn't pass up. He worked up a package deal for the Joe Osborne that he had in stock, in conjunction with the DJ that he's got on order for me. I jumped at the chance, and the JO should be on the FedEx truck heading to North Carolina tomorrow.

The plan is to string the JO with flatwounds and use it for the blues and old school tunes I play, and use the DJ for the rock and heavier stuff. At least that's how I am justifying this to myself. Here are a couple pics of my new baby.

2. Piedro

Jan 23, 2001
    Montréal, Qc, Canada
    Endorsing Aguilar Amp product.
    You're lucky man.. i wish to have the money to get these baby...

Great arsenal you gonna have!

3. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Congrats-she's a beauty! I wouldn't "limit" the JO to flats only. You can get a killin' slap sound with rounds on the JO-especially with the maple board. Enjoy!
  4. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    I don't get it - they look like plain 'ol jazz basses to me. :confused:

Just kidding! Those are schweet. Enjoy. :D

5. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Congrats! I just bought the LPB JO5 with j-retro that came up in the classifieds last week so we're in the same boat. I'm pretty excited. I just wish I had a DJ5 coming too.
  6. sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    kobass, trust me when I say that you do NOT want to hear me attempt to slap. :eek: This "Old Dog" doesn't know them faincy "new tricks". The JO I tried out a few weeks back was strung with roundwounds and sounded great. I may leave this JO with roundwounds until the DJ comes in, hard to say. At this point I'm just really anxious to get my grubby little paws on it. :D
  7. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I love it when the question is: "Which one do I get?" ... And the answer is; ... "BOTH!" That's the best answer of all!

Congrats! Your new JO looks very nice! I have a DJ5 and love it! Gary
  8. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    So glad to hear you went with Jong for the Laklands! If that's the JO he's had for a while, it really has a great sound. I've got a Skyline Bob Glaub with a Dark Star on order through him, and it shouldn't be too much longer before it gets in. Congrats on the basses, and be sure to post pics and reviews! :)
  9. sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Jong has been an absolute pleasure to deal with. He's done a huge amount of legwork on the Darryl Jones, first trying to find one in stock, then putting the order together. He also went way above and beyond on the "package deal" that gets me the Joe Osborn in the here and now to satisfy my Lakland GAS. He's a great guy and top notch in my book.

So tell me, how DOES my new Joe Osborn sound? It should be going on the FedEx truck right about now.....

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Very Nice, all the best with it !
  11. vroc38

vroc38 Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2006
    I came to the conclusion that I need a JO and a DJ, too. My next bass will be a TTS rosewood JO5 w/ tort guard to go with my white DJ5 and 55-94 deluxe. Can't have too many Laklands.
  12. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Congrats on both of your new Laklands. The JO looks killer, and I can't wait to see the pics of your DJ!!!

13. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Congrats! I just bought a JO4 Skyline on Tuesday and it is a really great bass.