Inconsistencys in Fender Japanese-made Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Feb 16, 2002.

1. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Throughout this forum I keep hearing about differences in Mexican-made Fender basses. Does this also apply to the Japanese Fenders?
  2. From what I've heard, Japenese Fenders are pretty good. Im buying one just now (at least Monday anyway), and its all in good condition. Dont know much bout Mexican-made ones though..
  3. Mexican ones are, some people can't tell the diff between the MIMs and the MIA ones. I happen to really like my MIM Fender Jazz V.
  4. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
  5. LOL...he's not an authorised Fender dealer. He's not an authorised PRS dealer either, and he loves to talk about how horrible they are now.

Strangely enough, his opinion of the MIJ Fenders is pretty positive. I've owned quite a few MIJ's and have been happy with them overall--the electronics on some of them leave something to be desired, but in terms of build quality and consistency, they seem to be pretty good.
  6. PolkaHero

Jan 5, 2002
    Which portion, the part that says Fenders basically suck or the fact that he says there's little difference between the MIM or MIA?
  7. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Ed Roman is a joke. :rolleyes:

quote: "Most of these Yahoo's want a Fender Stratocaster."

Yeah, Yahoo's like Eric Clapton or Buddy Guy.

This guy has the worst rep of anybody I've heard slammed on the internet, I wonder why?
  8. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    Many knowledgable Fender-ites will tell you that the MIJ Fenders are among the most consistent and high-quality of all....even when compared to the MIA's. Just about any MIJ I've ever seen would pass for an MIA if you didn't know better.
  9. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    The only bad MIJ fender bass that I've seen was a 60's reis jazz that was mistreated. The thing felt great and had the slimmest neck, but sounded like poo because the previous owner had put mismatched pickups in it and beat the living crap out of it.

Other than that, they are Gravy.

And a bargain.
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

MIJ's are very consistent. The best MIA's are better, the best MIM's come close, but every MIJ I have played was top notch, for their price range. The only place where the MIJ's fall short is the electronics on the base models. But the semi custom models like the Geddy Lee, Marcus Miller and vintage reissues have USA electronics, so IMHO they are the best bang for the buck as far as Fenders go.
  11. Not much expearience with MIJ basses but several of my guitar playing buddies own MIJ Fender strats ,etc. and the quality is EXCELLENT!They are also in love with them re:feel,sound,quality.

If I am not mistaken many of the Fender "signature" or "limited edition" models are made in their Japanese factory,no?I know the Geddy Lee is.I`ve also seen a number of Fender reissue guitars that are MIJ.Very nice.
  12. JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    My .02, I have both a MIJ and a MIA Jazz. I don't stick my head in the sand and say that Fender is the greatest sounding/best playing bass of all time. I do love the sound, and that is why I have them (besides the fact that I would be single again if I dropped $2K on a boutique bass!). I was able to compare them with a MIM that someone left at my house for a few days. The MIJ (in my opinion) is a better sounding instrument than the MIM. I don't know all the differences, but it just sounded better. That said, I don't care what anyone says, neither sounds or plays as good as my MIA. Better electronics, alder vs poplar body, stiffer neck (graphite reinforced), and significantly better sustain (string-through-body bridge). If you don't consider the better neck, you could upgrade the tuners, bridge, pups, etc on a MIM and come out with a pretty decent sounding guitar. But anyone who says there is NO difference between the MIM & MIA is hearing and touch impaired. :rolleyes:
  13. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    High production numbers will always result in a certain quality inconsistency, because you just can't get the wood in always the same quality.
  14. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    if you want Japanese bass engineering then get an Atelier Z.... OMG, those basses RAWK da SOCKS!!!
  15. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    As a Japanese-American, I'd like to be able to say all great things about MIJ Fenders, but my '75 reissue Jazz doesn't have rolled fret ends. This may not seem like a big deal, but it drives me nuts. My Ibanez ATK even has rolled frets. Otherwise, I really dig my Jazz bass.
  16. I have a Geddy Lee signature jazz bass (MIJ) and a Fender fretless jazz bass (MIM). I have played guitar for 18 years, ever since I was seven, and own 3 MIA Strats. I swore that I would never own a non-American made guitar! Well I went back on my own word with my basses! My wife got me the Geddy Lee for Christmas! I LOVE THEM! I do not have one single complaint!