Inconsistent tone from finger picking

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by shmedly, Jul 3, 2002.

1. This may sound like a silly question....but does anyone else get an inconsistent tone between your index and middle finger when plucking?

I've played mostly fingerstyle for many years but am troubled by the fact that my sound isn't as consistent as I like because when I physically pluck with my index finger, the tone sounds different than with my middle.

I think it's because there's generally more fingernail sound in the index than in the middle. I've tried cutting my fingernails longer/shorter but nothing seems to help.

Any suggestions?
  2. Listen

May 19, 2002
    I used too, all the time, but the more you play, the faster it evens out.
  3. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I've had the same problem. My index fingers have no "chin", so unless the fingernail is really short it tends to hit the string. But even if it doesn't, I have a hard time getting consistent sounds between the two - it's not that bad but I notice it.
  4. Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    same here, but the thing is that i started playing bass like 2 weeks ago, and i think im improvin my two finger technique faster than i thought i would do, i mean, im inconsistent, but im startin to play faster, and when i start movin my fingers faster it seems the instability (i spelled it right?) disappears..