Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Incorporating the low be string into your music

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by clanner, Sep 12, 2005.

1. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    I'm not sure if this is in the right froum or not but I've been trying to incorporate the low b of my Ibanez sr-405 into my bands music with little luck, it's loose compared to some other five's I've tried and I don't have money for a new bass (Just got G&L L2000), the b string works fine for slower music that I play at church but now very good for the music my band plays which is alot faster than what I've been playing at church (meant to live being the fastest).
    I've dropped the octave and it just sounds muddy. not tight like my other strings, Is there any sort of technique I could use?

also, how do you incorporaate the b into yor music?

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Of the last 3 bands I've played in, only one of them used standard tuning (and only some of the time). In those C#, D cases I was always using the low-B. I dont use the super low octave that often, unless its called for. Sometimes it seems too full for what I do.

If your low B is ultra boomy/explosive, your EQ might be too bass heavy. I had a similar problem back in the day.

I also had a problem with my strings being too loose not too long ago. I boiled some old ones to give them another round, but they would be loose even if they were in tune. New strings solved the problem. You might want to try a DR "lo-rider" B string, they are exceptionally stiff.

If you are new to playing on low-B, there might be a few minor issues related to how you control the string, but nothing a little concentrated practice couldnt cure.

3. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    I'm not new to it, I switched to five only months after starting and it's not a problem at lower speeds. I'll try the low rider. currentky using regular slinkies with the exception of the e string witch is an elixer (I napped the core on it during practice and had to use the 5th fret e. didn't sound quite as good as the e string.

I don't really use th b at all and don't want this investment to go to waste.

i'm using 3 basses including the g&l and a fretless aswell,

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I don't play 5 much anymore, but my general rule of thumb is don't use it unless you have a valid musical reason for using it. Of course, I always did use it without valid musical reasons and it always sounded like crap.