incorrect methods

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by WilliamPdb83, Jul 31, 2002.

1. WilliamPdb83

Jul 31, 2002
    This is probobly a very general, elementary, and over asked question, but please hear me out...

Before i state my questions, i should say a little about my expierence, etc. Iv been playing for about
    7 months, i can read music pretty good, have a pretty good knowledge of theory, (substitutions, modes,
    scales and when/why to apply them, the basics to the begining advanced stuff... yada yada)know a few standards and
    iv been blessed with pretty big hands and fingers (i can reach a 10th, probobly larger on piano) speed, and
    dexterity. Im not anything out of this world, or not anything "out of this state" or probobly not
    anything "out of this city" but i feel
    in the months iv been playing iv gained considerable skill for a person of my expierence (i practice my ASS off, and thats one thing i will say im pretty good at. I love being alone for hours just playing)
    However, theres one thing that frightens me, that is, learning wrong and hurting myself down the road.
    I took a few formal piano lessons, and from that i kinda just took what i knew and learned how to read music for the bass"
    Iv yet to take any formal bass lessons (something i will be doing soon as part of college) so for all
    i know, my methods could be the hallmark for the "do not" of double bass. For instance, my left hand
    technique, or lack of. i dont have a special system that i use that determains what note of the
    scale gets what finger in X circumstance or anything like that, i just use what ever finger is closest. i know the layout
    of scales on the bass for whatever key i happen to be playing in, so for instance when the 7th of (the major scale for example) is on the low E
    (tuned in fourths) i know the the root will get my middle finger, the 2nd will get my litte finger,
    the 5th will get my little finger, 3rd gets the first finger, and so on. That seems logical to me, and
    it works, but i havn't been playing bass for 100+ years so im not really sure if that method is infact
    logical or a complete hamper on style. Another fear is plucking technique. I just kinda put my middle
    finger over my first finger, and pluck parralell (spelling? heh) to the string, and my thumb rests on
    the neck, forming a 90 degree angle with the strings. Occasionally il use my first two fingers If something is to fast for me. And i dont physically hurt myself either.
    To shorten this up, thats all il include. Is any one else self tough? has anyone (on here) ever
    hurt themselves in the long run by using "incorrect" methods.

Anyways, to sum up my essay :) ... Sorry for such a long question. Thanks for reading everyone.

2. By the way you describe it, your right hand pizz. technique is very wrong.

Your right hand: get a method book.

If you have specific questions you'll get better, and more, repsonses if you ask them separately.