Incorrect tabs

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Wyattryatt, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Wyattryatt

Wyattryatt Guest

Mar 4, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    i went to get a tab form here for The final slowdance by MxPx, it says that the previous tabs was way off, but the tab that is posted there isnt the right song, its Tommorrow's another day,
    can i dont know how to post tabs here yet, can anyone help?
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hi and welcome to TB!

The forum here is independent from the tab archive and so we're not really a support forum for the archive.

Most TBers are not really pro-tab also, so it might be better to check since TB is really just a mirror for their archive.

A tip: Try to learn the song on your own from CD, you will learn a lot in the process, I promise.
  3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you've learned a lot already, if you can tell the tab is wrong.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Not that I've tried many tabs, but only out of curiosity. But any resemblance between the bass tabs I've tried just for grins and the actual bass lines of those songs is minimal, at best.

I don't know if the people who formulate them are tone deaf or if they tune to some kind of Egypto-geometry scale. :rolleyes: They certainly don't know the nuances that make most of the bass lines worth learning in the first place.

As JMX says, you're better of grabbing them off of a CD. It's tougher but no one gains an understanding of the instrument by reading tabs, IMO. The good things in music aren't - "Just add water, microwave, and serve."
  5. JaggedB

Jan 26, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    Tabs are pretty useless, but I do use them on occaision as a "kick-start" for transcribing. If the first chord tone or two is right then I can just go from there. That and a lot of listens, mistakes, corrections, lamenting, gnashing of teeth, etc. Except on Cult songs :p

As an aside, I almost started an "I hate Paul McCartney :D " thread... He is a master song and bass line writer. If you want to work on transcription chops pick just about any Beatles song (I'm doing "Penny Lane" right now - what a beautiful piece of music!) and have a go. There is so much theory wrapped up in that two and a half minutes!! Truly sublime.
  6. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    They are a waste of time...........................Now an "I hate Paul McCartney" thread could get interesting. You know it is funny. He plays a really solid bass, wrote great songs with the Beatles, but nothing he has done since moves me in the least. I can't put my finger on it but his music just doesn't work for me. I listen to his bass playing and I give him nothing but respect. But his songs are really pedestrian.:rolleyes: