1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Increase in "Stealth" B-Stock ? Beware!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SabreChris, Mar 24, 2009.

1. SabreChris

SabreChris

Mar 19, 2009
    I received an Ibanez ATK "scratch n dent" from musians friend which was definitely b-stock (some very noticeable finishing flaws and playability issues). It was also a return and resold to me.

Conventional wisdom is that SnD items are returns, but this was also a B-stock item. Large dab of filler putty under clearcoat and small fretboard cracks. It seems that MF is not obligated to disclose that something is B-stock once it has been sold and returned.

Also, I am surprised that this was not marked as B-stock. On ebay I see a bunch of these being resold by unauthorized resellers, and they are marked as seconds on the headstock.

Does musicians friend have a direct line from the suppliers and are able to sell "stealth" B-stock items as new, unblemished?

In the quest for a good deal on a bass, I have seen a bunch of B-stock merchandise. I respect that many of the resellers disclose this in their auctions, but once something is bought by an independent, or retuned to MF, there is NOTHING that indicates it is flawed. Beware!

(My pet theory is that if the used market is cluttered with seconds and blems, buyers are more likely to buy new, so dumping loads of **** into the market actually helps the manufacturer.)