Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Increased natural resonance

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neptune, Mar 20, 2001.

1. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Do any of you folks have basses equipped with tension rods attached to the headstock plate? I've heard this can increase natural resonance. Opinions?

2. Neptune, I haven't heard of what you're talking about, but, musiciansfriend sells this thing (forgot what they call it) that's like a C-clamp that you attach to the headstock to increase sustain.

Is it a gimmick? I don't know.

Mike J.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

4. I don't know about the fat finger, but I do know that on my Pedulla Buzz I made a template of the head stock had a friend cut me out a nice piece of brass, removed the tuners, and then put them back on to hold on the brass, adding mass to the headstock. I couldn't hear the difference.

I think it works better on basses that have dead spots. I have yet to find a Pedulla that has dead spots.

5. embellisher

gp, my Rapture has a slight dead spot at the C on the G when the humidity is really high.

6. to quote elton john and kiki dee, don't go breaking my heart

:D

i feel you pain but when you have a bass that looks as sweet as your Rapture no one is going to notice.

7. embellisher

It does look pretty nice, doesn't it?;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. yes, yes it does, I figured I would give you some much deserved praise seeing that you didn't give me any thumb downs for pulling mine apart to stick on a chunk of metal. :D

9. Those things are gimmicks. About 90% of the time they don't work, even if they do, it's too subtle to be worth buying, hastle.

10. I can't really comment on how they work.. but I know that with regards to balance, the last thing I want is more weight on my headstock.

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, that's why I'm not so fond of Fender-style instruments or basses with a similar headstock design.
    The best and most hassle-free solution IMO is a tilted headstock with the strings running straight over the saddle to the machine heads. A volute(?) should be there to offer increased stability.

[​IMG]