Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Increasing bass looks

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by lawnpatio, Oct 19, 2000.

1. lawnpatio

lawnpatio

Jun 27, 2000
    I own a Washburn XB-100. It was a really cheap bass, and really didn't sound so great. But I installed active emg pickups with the active tone and it increased my tone immensely. I love the sound I get now. The only problem though is that my bass is so plain. I mean it just has two knobs (tone and volume). So what I'm trying to say is that, is there ANYTHING I could do to make it more interesting??? Maybe strip the paint off (its really dark purple) and stain it???....I don't know, I'm up for ANY options. Thanks everyone.

Chris

2. You could put pickup/bridge cover plates on it if they don't interfere with your playing. If you don't know what I'm talking about, they are the metal plates hiding the pickups and the bridge on old Fenders and Fender vintage recreations. Look on the Fender site at the vintage j-bas and p-bass. You can order them at http://www.guitar-parts.com I think.

You could also put a pickguard on it. If there is no pickguard that fits it http://www.warmoth.com sells pickguard blanks. You could also put a different paint job or modify the paint job, glue stuff to it, or put new knobs on.

Kenan Sugar O'Brien
    The Sound of the Police

3. I think you may find the wood underneath the paint is probably not suitably well grained to stain it, but a nice custom paint job is a go.

4. dheat

dheat

Feb 5, 2000
    Asheville
    What an odd question.
    Does Tommy Hilfiger make basses?

5. bassgeek

bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    You can put a flourescent pink thong on the bass. You might be able to run the straps beneath the strings.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Switch to gold hardware.

Will C.:cool:

7. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    How about a G-String instead of a thong? :)

someone had to say it

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I like C strings better because they cover even less than a G string!

:D

9. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca
    hang a rubber chicken from the headstock.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd add a few more knobs. Three would be good. Also, the gold hardware is the best thing you could do. These are just my feelings on this.

11. Gold hardware makes me hate. Hate hate hate. Stay away from the gold hardware, it's ugly.

Kenan Sugar O'Brien
    The Sound of the Police