Increasing finger plucking speed?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Garrett Mireles, Feb 3, 2004.

1. My ultimate goal is 16th's at 180 bpm. But no matter how often I practice fast songs..well, it seems I've hit a plateau that bodybuilders hit..I'm just not gaining anymore. I've taken up guitar as a hobby and read an article on increasing picking speed, where you raise the string up at certain areas on the fretboard to increase tention - making it harder to pick, resistance training - and applied it to bass. Hasn't really helped a whole lot.

Any tips?
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Here's a simple one and it ties in with what you said about guitars... play where the strings flex the least, at the bridge. With less string motion it'll always be there when your next pluck arrives.

The thing that really helped me was lightening up on my touch. This allows for some serious economy of motion

You can compensate for the decrease in volume by turning your amp up a bit more. I also keep the volume on my basses maxed.

That should keep you busy for a while, if you're not already doing all of these. Remember, start slow and speed with come, without sacrificing accuracy. Be patient.
  3. Your sig is comforting. Thanks, I'll try that. I stopped playing for about a week, and I practiced like a man possesed on superbowl sunday, now I got ******* blister on my plucking fingers...have to use a pick till they go away. :spit:

I mean I don't mind using a pick...but I'd rather be using fingers right now.