Increasing left hand speed

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Jun 26, 2002.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    How can I increase my left hand speed. I see everyone doing these fanct tapping solos, i can tap that fast, but i cant seem to get my fretting hand fingers to keep up. Is there any way i can increase my left hand finger speed using scales or something? Any techniques/Theorys are welcomed. :D
  2. BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    for left hand speed drills try these:
    using two fingers, first play your 3rd fret to 4th fret from your E (or B) string to your G string, ascending and descending...Like this, <1st finger 3rd fret, 2nd finger 4th fret would be (ascending)> from your E (or B) string to your G string playing each string E,A,D and G = ascending. Then the opposite for your descending
    <2nd finger 4th fret, 1st finger 3rd fret from your G string to your E string> use them in set's <1st try this with your 1st and 2nd finger a few times then use your 2nd and 3rd for the exorcise and lastly and most difficult is doing this with your 3rd and 4th fingers> You can use any two fret's you like, and you can also play 4th to 6th fret style for more stretch. Remember to do it ascending and descending. make sure you understand that this will help your accuracy and will help develop those finger muscles for speed. You can take it further with set's of three as well. 3 fingers on your neck and 3 fingers on each string. as you play this you will notice how terrible it sounds. Later you will see your scales will seem much easier. It helped me quite a bit.
    Good luck with these instructions you will probably need it.