Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

increasing speed

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by mattthebassman2, Jun 15, 2002.

1. I have been playing for about a year and a half and i am wondering how i can speed up my right hand. Are there any hints on plucking or is it just more practice needed?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It boils down to this IMO:
    • light touch
    • optimized/minimized finger movement.
    • avoid "the hook", pluck by dragging your finger tip over the string, as opposed to curving your finger - like you would pull a trigger

3. wen u say that do u mean i should curve my finger or keep the straight

4. "the hook" sounds like it is referring to curving your finger too much, so try and keep them straighter.

You could try using more fingers on your right hand.
    I have found that for many lines (mostly those that don't include a lot of string skipping) the fastest way I've found of playing them is to use a pick with up and down strokes...though I'm probably evil for trying to learn this technique.

5. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    practice, paractice, practice! Throw in some Incognito and try to keep up- blistering 16th notes perfectly clean! Light touch is key, but keeping your light touch EVEN is the real challenge!

6. theres three tactics i can think of for speed:

1.train your right(plucking) hand to use all four fingers, or at least 3. and for multi-string riffs, use your thumb on the lowest string. if you can do this good, you can go wicked fast.

2.probably the easiest to learn, but least advantages. use a PICK. i do, and only now after two years of picking am i wishing i mastered fingerstyle first. if you can do a clean up and down on one string without disturbing other strings, 16ths are a sinch.

3.this one will take some time. get REALLY good at slap and pop. then laugh your way past Claypool with blisteringly fast slappin.

thats my advice, it aint great, but take it or leave it.

7. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Add a T-88 turbo. 40% boost in horsepower.

Wrong website again...

8. No_Fingures

No_Fingures

Jun 17, 2002
    Boston Ma
    hrmmm technique exersises

switch patterns around
    1=pionter
    2=middle
    3=ring
    4=pinky

play these 4 fingurs in differant patterns like start
    1234 then shift one threat and go 1243. then you can go to others like 1324 then 4231.
    Every time you play a new pattern shift your position over 1 or 2 threts...or up and down on strings

to get lightest touch put your fingur on the string so it is a ghost note(No pressure just rest it on)
    The start playing rest strokes over and over and keep pushing down with your left hand fingur and ounce you finally get a clean note (Not harmonic) stop and thats how hard you should push down on that paricular bass.

Also find a classical guitarist and steal their exersives if will increase your speed and technique incredibly.

To play fast right hand with only 2 fingurs just gallop

9. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
  10. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    An interesting technique that I'm FAR from mastering is using both the up and downstroke of your finger(s) to play -- kind of like double-picking with your plucking hand. I first noticed John Entwistle doing this, but it also seems like a pretty standard classical (flamenco?) guitar technique.

11. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I'd suggest using only 2 fingers, and play with a light touch. I hold my hand at a slight angle to the strings when I play, to make up for the fact that your middle finger is in fact longer than your index finger.

Seems to work for me.

12. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

For a quick fix, I'd say go with a pick for now and then practise the 2/3 finger thing when you're playing on your own as it takes a long time to develope. I started playing with a pick and then switched to finger style about 6 years ago. I still think a pick works better for heavier music even if you can go fast with fingers.

13. No_Fingures

No_Fingures

Jun 17, 2002
    Boston Ma
    yeh picks are better for metal i would have to agree

14. snoogin

snoogin

Jun 15, 2002
    Sioux city Iowa
    If you haven't already, buy a metronome and gradually speed things up as you practice, practice, practice.

15. BassMann2112

BassMann2112

Jun 21, 2002
    What ever you do don't use a PICK. If you want speed use 3 fingers and practice on one note at 1st. Go for accuracy and solid tone, start slow and builb yourself up to the speed you are looking for.

Think about it though... How fast can you get with a pick. up - down up - down up - down? I can run rings around anyone with a pick. without a doubt. you can too if you work at it.

But dont use a pick!

16. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Good advice, no doubt.

I've been trying to work a 3-finger plucking technique for some time now. I recently started taking lessons, and my instructor asked me, straight up: Why?

I was surprised to find that I didn't have a very good answer for him, and my instructor seemed to be of the opinion that there have been very few bass players in the history of our instument who could effectively make use of the ring finger when plucking. I got the impression from him that three-finger technique is not worth worrying about unless you find two fingers creatively stifling -- or unless you've mastered just about every other aspect of the instrument.

Personally, I'm going to keep trying to work the ring finger into my plucking, but my priorities have certainly shifted since that conversation. Just something to chew on...

17. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Ahh the great pick VS finger debate has arised yet again!

Well its your choice. I personally go with the fingers, but thats me.

Going by what has been told on this thread you have been given alot of techniques to increase speed. I sure as hell am going to use some of them ASAP because they sound great.

One more suggestion. Sit down with your metronome and play the C major scale at 60 BPM(slower if you cant keep up). play that up and down for about 5 minutes, then more up to 80 (or 75 or 70 if you cant keep up) abnd then play the C scale at that speed for 5 mins. Get faster, and faster and valla`, you have speed in your fingers ;)

18. Dont let a piece of plastic get between you and your bass. It is my belief that you can do everything and far more with your fingers than you can do with a pick. It just takes practice. Get a metronome and speed things up every day. If I want to play really fast i use my finger much like a pick in the alternate picking fashion (up and down strokes). Once youve mastered your fingerstyle technique then move on to use a pick and see what advantages it has to offer.

19. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Cant be any more simpler. But a plectrum is also sort of an effect. AN effect doesnt have to be a stop box or something, it can be as easy as a plectrum. So it boils down to what YOU think.

20. using a pick for an effect is the only reason I would use it, but most times If I want a certain tone I can get it fingerstyle. Strangeley enough most pick users try getting away from the mettalic pick tone to get something more like fingerstyle tone when all they have to do is play with their fingers instead.